Wiper operation - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 05-07-08 Thread Starter
Help Wiper operation

Hello guys,

Some advice please.... The 'flick' wipe and continous wiper stalk positions on my 146 don't seem to be working.... The wipers work in the intermittant position and I have two intermittant speeds and one continuous speed. Am I looking at a dodgy relay (if so which one is it because my owners manual has all of these listed in Italian...) or is it likely to be a duff stalk.....??

Many thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Re: Wiper operation

If the first wiper position is working (first click-down position - where you have to turn the collar to select first intermittent speed, second intermittent speed or continous), then I suggest you probably have a faulty stalk.

All stalk positions use the same fuse and there is no relay...instead an "intermittence control unit" is used. However, this control unit is only invoked for the first click-down wiper position. If you use the flick-up or second click-down positions (fast continous speed) then these positions simply bypass the intermittence control box and send a voltage directly to the wiper motor. So it sounds like the bypass circuit isn't supplying 12v to the motor.

You can test the bypass circuit in the stalk unit by locating the red/blue wire coming from it and puttting a multimeter on it. That wire should show +12v when either the flick-up of second click-down positions are selected. If it doesn't then the stalk is faulty. Luckily each stalk is just a modular unit that clips in and out so fairly easy to replace.

If you want a copy of the owners handbook in English then look HERE It's for the facelift 145 but most of the useful stuff you'll ever need will be covered in there.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 07-07-08 Thread Starter
Re: Wiper operation

Thanks for the advice...... looks like its the stalk thats duff. Should have a replacement by the weekend so I'll post an update once I've fitted it...

AO Member
County: -

Member car:

alfa romeo 146

hi every one i have alfa 146 mod 98 how can i know if the problem if from the wiper motor or the wiper stalk and if there a relay in the motor wiper it self or in the board under the dash any way i need some suggesting or solution to get my probleme solved, thanks a lot .

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

operation , wiper