146 Heater - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
146 Heater

i have a 1998 146 - the cable from the heater temperature control has come away from the heater at the heater end rather than at the control dial end - the heater is now struck on the heat position (not good for summer) - i can reach up and feel the cable end and even look at it with a mirror - trouble is how do i get access to it? - does anyone have instructions on how to remove the dash panel that covers it? note this model has a passenger airbag

advice and direction needed - cheers SKB
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Well... this isn't a half hour job! eek! I had to take my dash apart to get at the heater controls, and it took 3 evenings to get it aprt, fix it, and get it together again. My 145 is a RHD version with no passenger airbag.

Firstly, pull out the oddments bin under the radio, then the radio and it's metal bracket, then the ashtray / cigarette lighter, then the panel with the hazard light switch on it.

Then take out the strip panel which goes from the passenger door apeture across to the heater control panel; I guess this is the panel which has the airbag on it?

Then take out the electric mirror switch, the rear centre consol oddments bin, and you should be able to get the centre console out, but I found this was the hardest job because it interferes with the bottom of the main dashboard. rant

With the centre console out, you should be able to get the whole lower dashboard out, but I had to remove the steering column lower surround first.

You can now get at the screws which hold the heater panel in place..... this is as far as I got, I could see the control end of the cables, I don't know how much more you have to do to get at the other end!

If you can see a way to reconnect the cable it without removing the dash, I'd advise trying that first.

If I think of any hints, I'll try to post them

Good luck!
I had to do this job earlier this year on my 145 and it is a pain in the @rse.

A couple of things to add to Mave's post are to buy all three cables. They are cheap at 2 each, that way you will not be held up by the dealer as you can be sure he will order the wrong one. Also it means if you find another one has broken you will not have to do the job again.

The airbag can be removed by disconnecting the battery 1 hour before to power down the control module. Not a problem, do the battery first and then work on the rest of the removal process. One note of caution, do not connect the battery up for any reason once the airbag has been disconnected, otherwise the airbag light will come on and that is a trip to the dealer to reset it.

Finally the job is made easier if you have a cordless screwdriver as there as loads of screws to be removed.

The job is DIY-able, you do not need to be skilled, just patient as it is fiddly, just think of the money saved by not having the dealer do it laughing

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

146 , heater