how do if know if head gasket is gone? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
how do if know if head gasket is gone?

i was filling up the oil today and when i undone the oil filler car i spotted some white/green oil, do you think the head gasket is gone?? sometimes the revs drop real low so maybe that has something to do with it?? other than that it runs fine although the temp gauge gets high but when i take my foot off the brake pedal it goes down?????
Sponsored Links
Admin Team
County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

It all depends on how much gunk there was.

I get a mayonnaisey type of build up occasionally (very occasionally) but i just wipe it off.

No, not that wink

The build up is caused by small amounts of water in the oil and when it gets hot, it evaporates and since the filler is the highest point, it collects there.
And we all know that oil and water, when mixed create an emulsion dont we!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Sold :(

Eventually one or more cyclinders will stop firing. In a sevre case you might be able to see light in the engine bay.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0 16v SP3

You may also experience a sort of twiching sensation in your wallet. This is your money getting ready to leave your custody...
Symptoms can very. The gasket helps keeps the combustion chamber, oilways and waterways all separate, therefore depending on which bit has failed will show as a different symptom. As has been suggested, you can get mayonaise on the oil filler cap, however you can also get also get oil appearing in the in the expansion tank. Other indicators are clouds of steam appearing from the exhaust, especially on a cold morning.

A couple of suggestions to help verify are to buy a compression guage and test each cylinder, this will indicate any loss of cylinder pressure. Also you could get your local garage to test for exhaust gases appearing in the expansion tank. All they do is remove the water cap and put over it a vessel containing a special coloured liquid. With the engine running and the liquid will change colour if there are exhaust gases present.

Then the twitch in your wallet can be confirmed as a serious case or mere anxiety. wink
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

You can get a bit of mayonnaise if you do lots of short journeys and the motor doesn't get properly hot. A friend of ours just used her Peugeot for short commuting trips (5 miles) and under the radiator cap looked like an explosion in a Hellmans factory. We cleaned it up, changed the coolant and it was OK.
it as very minimal the gunk, and it hasnt come back yet, just reminded me of many fords i had owned where the gasket has blown
Bert Cheese
My only non Alfa was an old rear engined Skoda Rapide 136 Sport.Ahem.Only had it six weeks,Tanking up the M27 at nearly 90mph one day it started making funny engine noises. eek! To remedy the situation I turned the stereo up whereupon all power was lost and a F1 style plume of oil/water released onto the lucky folk behind me. And THAT is a blown head gasket On the plus side it cost a very un-Alferish £75 to repair,sold it for £200 profit and got myself a 1.7 Sprint........lesson learned. wink
Gillezzz 145
I too thought white fumes from your exhaust indicate a blown head gasket.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

gasket , head