Info required - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Sideshow Bruce
Info required

Hi guys,

I've recently bought a '96 155 after many years of owning 75s. As such I've yet to learn the idiosyncrisies of my new vehicle and so thought I'd turn to experienced hands for advice.

It's done 66k and so I've had the cam belt, tensioner and variator changed and also had to get the clutch release bearing and clutch replaced.

It now runs really smoothly but I've a few questions.

1. On start up the engine sounds pretty rough (like a diesel). I've heard that this could be a variator problem but this shouldn't be the case as I've just had it changed.

2. On start up, the oil level indicator and injection system malfuction light remain on longer than the rest (which disappaer after the customary few seconds). They do eventually turn off after about 30 seconds. Does anyone know why this may be happening (oil level is ok) and is it anything to worry about?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Sideshow Bruce
Sponsored Links
I to made the transition from a 75 to a 155 and as far as I know, if the variator has been changed then the engine should be quietish and not like a diesel and as for the lights that stay on the injection system performs a check on the system every time you start the car so I assume that as with all Italian electrics some cars take a little longer to perform the checks.
Could be the tappets are taking a while to quieten down.

AO Member
Check your user manual re the lights, on my 1996 164 if any light stays on longer than the standard 6 seconds it means a fault has been detected...although the oil pressure warning light WILL stay on if you just turn the key to stage 1 and not start car. If light stays on for a while after starting then your pressure sensor may be shot.
AO Silver Member
Any idea what grade oil it has, and whether it uses any oil? Does the 155 have a separate oil level and pressure warning light? Do you know whether it has a proper Alfa oil filter, or an aftermarket one? I'm thinking;
If you've had the variator changed, and it still sounds like a diesel for a few seconds, and you have a low oil pressure warning during startup, then chances are somethings wrong with the oil pressure and it's not just a dodgy warning light. I think the oil filter has a non-return valve in it to avoid the filter draining when the engine is shut down; perhaps you have an aftermarket one which needs to refill every time you start the engine? If it was me, I'd consider changing the oil, using an alfa filter, and 10w-60 oil. Hope you get it sorted out!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

Maybe the oil pump is shot, or lower filter is clogged. Could try pouring oil in ontop of the valves when cold, then start and see whether the noise remains.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

info , required