Want to buy a 145 Cloverleaf or 1.7 16v, what should i look for, anyone selling one? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Orkney Bob
Want to buy a 145 Cloverleaf or 1.7 16v, what should i look for, anyone selling one?

Hi there, im looking to buy a 145 cloverleaf or a 1.7 16v, can anyone tell me what things i should be looking for when buying one and is anyone selling one?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

75 LE

Well... there too different cars. the twinny has is fault's as does the boxer.
I'll go over the boxer for you..
Gustless below 3000,,, but once your at 4500 YEEEOOOWWWW... always felt more than 129bhp to me
fault's & Problems..
Cambelt's .. had one break, remember it has 2 & it cost 1,100 to fix this was at 48,000miles which is the replacement mileage. Do them every 40,000 max or every 2.5 years.
Water pump, tend to fail, not always but out of 3 boxer's 2 of ours have. the other has done 90.000 the others made it to 80K before failing. Squeeking bearings are a dead give away. about 150 to get fixed.
Wishbone Bushes front. mine last 40k my dads are still going strong at 80k... Go figure.. I drive on track 130 per wishbone.

Exhausts rust, simple as that.
Oil comspumption, she'll use a little oil but not much... Mine's guzzling it (see above)
Get underneath & check for leaks, a little oil on the side below the filler in normal as you'll always spill when filling... you really need a funnel to put oil in.
Rust.. should'nt be any. I've found some on mine. at the top of the suspension turret's where the stress's of hard cornering have cracked the paint. again regular track use is to blame.
Brakes should be strong, but may require a bit of pedal pressure, (I've got RedDot discs & pads for over 2 years so can't remember the standard set)
check the handbrake feels ok.
Look at tires for uneven wear.

Front Subframe.(I think this is only happened to my car) I've found two small cracks just behind the rear mount for the wishbone... again see above

check the wipers work front & rear, front's proved to be troublesome on earlier models but it's a cheap fix new arm & blades from the later models

I'm getting tired now wink Come on lads what have a forgotten

2x 145, 4x 75, 4x Sprints,a 156, 146 now a 155
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

Red paint.
Petrol consumption at 4500RPM.
AO Member
County: Cheshire
My 1.7 has had quite a hard life, but seems to have been pretty reliable, and has certainly been good to me. So far it's on 127,000 miles and looking through the history it's had the following probs:

- an injector went
- arms / bushes at the front
- it had some 'head work' at some point. Don't know more than that, but it didn't cost much so can't have been serious

Apart from that, it's all usual wear and tear stuff: a wheel bearing needed doing at 110k miles, cambelts were expensive to do but necessary.

Other thing to watch for on early cars is paint: some of them have water based paint with clear laquer on top. When it fades (unvenly!) there's nothing you can do except respray it. I have this problem. When I bought the car, I thought it just needed a good T-cut. I was wrong!

Apart from that, can't recommend it highly enough. Racing ExtremeUK's Cloverleaf was interesting. 2nd gear off a roundabout it was actually quicker than the cloverleaf. From the lights it was a tough match, and the cloverleaf only started to pull away at about 50 / 60.

on the plus side for the cloverleaf; the stock suspension is better and the interior is much nicer. and i don't think it's quite as thirsty. I get about 30mpg from the 1.7, and driving fast / slow doesn't make much difference.

In my opinion, the boxer engine in the 1.7 is one of the best sounding engines around.

last point: don't be put off by high miles on a 1.7 (can't comment on 2 litre). With normal maintenance the engine is good for 200,000 miles.

good luck

rich t

156 2.4jtd working it's way towards perfect condition. Loving the diesel warpage!
Orkney Bob
Cheers lads, really think i want the cloverleaf now, as the insurance is not all that much higher and it is a nicer car all the same, has anyone got pics that they could send me of the interior of the cloverleaf?
I have just placed an ad in the AlfaOwner classified section for my 146Ti 2.0 16v. The engine & performance of the 145 Cloverleaf with the practicality of the 146 5-door bodyshell. Pics on the site. Its a real pocket rocket!
AO Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by McGuinn:
<strong>Red paint.
Petrol consumption at 4500RPM.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ha..... what more can you say!

hit the nail on the head!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

145 , 16v , buy , cloverleaf , selling