146 engine seized!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
146 engine seized!!

Hey guys....

As ye can see from the title my lovely 146 boxer engine seized on me at 60k!! The engine was one of the last 1600 boxer engines for the 146 and always ran perfect, cept for the usual probs!! I wont tell ye what happened coz i don`t really know yet but i`ve to get a new engine and i`ve sourced a 1700 8v engine from a 33 and i`d just like to know ye`re opinions etc on this transformation if ye have any!

The main problem i can see so far because i`m keeping all my original ancillarys is how my engine managment system and injection system will cope with the extra 100cc.. I`ve been told that the parts should "learn" fairly quickly how to cope with the extra 100cc but i`m not sure how reliable that advice is because of electronics etc..
Please give me some advice guys as i`m very new to this kind of thing and i really don`t want to mess it up!!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

Himmm, good question. A friend currently has problems with a BMW where he fitted a 1.8 in place of a 1.6, and the ECU mappings are incorrect. He also replaced the injectors and this didn't resolve either.
I assume that the algorithms are written for the cubic capacity of 1600cc, and as the jump of 200cc (100cc in your case) is not accounted for/programmed into the ECU, it has problems.
Ok guys heres an update on the car...

so we got the engine out anyway and theres very little rust on the mountings funnily enough apart from one or two little parts that have evaporated! Good old Alfa!
I`m gonna look stupid now for telling ye this but heres what happened.. we think!
Obviously i know that with any car you have to regularly check the oil and especially with cars like alfas but due to a very hectic work load and other stuff to be done b4 i left for a months hols, i hadn`t checked the oil for about a month or about 2000 miles when, the "Oil level warning light" flashed on.. I pulled over and checked the oil and it was pretty low but not empty so i kept going for another 2 days b4 refilling it!! Now i know exactly what ye`re thinking "There is no Oil level warning light but there is an oil pressure warning light!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately stupid little me didn`t know this at the time and i have been advised that if this should ever come on you should immediately pull over and turn off the engine, get it towed or something coz if the light comes on you already done something wrong!!
Anyway to finish the story... i went on hols for a month and came back to a flat battery at the airport so i had to get it jump-started.. while i was doing this i checked the oil level and it was still full so i drove away again for about another two weeks until one night when driving home..
I was travelling home reasonably late at night and there was no traffic on the road!! A new bypass had been opened on my route and, you have you to give your alfa a good drive every now and again coz it practically begs you to every day.. so i did.. I approached 120mph for about 10km`s and then reduced to normal speed again until i arrived home!!! When i pulled forward and went to reverse, the engine just stalled solid and wouldn`t start again, so i left it there thinking that i`d have to get it to a garage in the morning!! When i went out in the morning i tried to start it and it started as usual no probs and i headed for work not thinking any more of it until, after about 20kms i heard a funny kind of flapping sound!! i drove on cautiously for another 1km or so until it was safe to stop. When i slowed down, the car just grinded to a stop and i knew there was serious damage done!! I popped the hood and there was water spraying from every angle and steam everywhere.. i dipped the oil and to my horror found that it was almost totally empty!!
So we took the engine out and found that i was seized solid.. heres the interesting part.. we got to the oil pump and found that the cog at the end of it was totally stiff and hard to turn which, in turn, we think caused everything else to happen!! how this seized i`ve no idea but it probably was ****ed from when the warning light came on and by driving it.. it just got worse until it gave up!! i`ve learned a very big and pricy lesson!! If anything strange happens!! Go to a garage straight away and also.. most cars, if any at all, have oil level warning lights so you just have to check it regurlarly yourself!!!

Anyway, the 1700 engine is going in today and tommorow and its going in with only some little probs that have been overcome so i can`t wait to get her back (hopefully) tomorrow nite so we can be re-united and live happily ever after!! Hopefully she wont hold a grudge and will be happy with her extra 100cc!!! I`ve just learned what a lamda sensor does so i`ve no doubts that she`ll have no probs with the extra power and i won`t have to get her re-mapped!! So fingers crossed!! I`ll keep ye up to date anyway if ye`re interested and thanks for ye`re help..
P.S. Please don`t reply to tell me what i did wrong coz i already know and i`m feeling a bit stupid!!
And especially for you toad.. I`m not really qualified to give advice after what i did but if ya hear funny noises, my advice would be to get it checked out straight away coz it`ll just cost more in the long run if ya leave it go!!
Founder of AO
County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Why are we running two threads on this subject?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

146 , engine , seized