Ok here goes!
You will need:
10mm socket and ratchet driver
Long Nosed pliers
Soldering Iron and solder
Little bit of heat shrink tubing
A dab of 5 minute Epoxy
Two 2.5mm X 30mm machine screws with nuts
Lever Micro Switch, Maplins part No. N96AQ
First job is to remove the catch from the tailgate. Remove the plastic cover from inside the car then disconnect the arm that runs from the catch to the key barrel. You can disconnect this at the lock end. Unplug the wiring for the switch, on my car this was wrapped in foam tape and cable tied to the wiper motor. Next remove the plastic cover from the outside of the catch and undo the two 10mm bolts holding the catch to the tailgate. You can now access the arm that connects the catch to the remote release solenoid, with a bit of wiggling you can now remove the catch from the car.
Now we need to remove the old switch, this is held in place with a couple of aluminium rivets, (see photo 1) these are easily removed by filing the heads off and pushing the rivets through with a 2.5mm drill bit. Lift away the switch and cut off the two wires.
For the new switch I used a lever micro switch, I got mine from Maplins Part Number: N96AQ
The fitting holes line up exactly with the holds in the catch but the arm will require modification. The un-modified switch can be seen to the bottom right of Photo 1.
The lever on the new micro switch will need extending backwards by about 70mm. I used a short length of stainless steel taken from another switch, you could use the lever from the old switch. Carefully bend over the lever on the switch about 10mm from the end. Crimp this down hard onto the lever extension. I also applied a little bit of 5 minute epoxy to the two mating faces. See Photo 4.
The wires should be soldered to the terminals C and NO. I cut short the other terminal and insulated the joints with heat shrink tubing to prevent the possibility of shorts.
Photo 2 shows the modified switch attached to the wiring loom ready to be refitted onto the catch.
The switch can now be bolted to the catch, test the operation with a multi-meter if you have one. I had to bend the arm a little to get the switch to switch on.
Photo 3 shows the catch with the new switch fitted ready to go back into the tailgate.
Refit the catch, connect the wiring and the operating rods then test again, refit the trim and feel very satisfied that you have fixed something and saved loads of money in the process.