puffing sound from back of no4 cyl? 145 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
puffing sound from back of no4 cyl? 145

I have a puffing sound from the back of my 2l 145.
It might also sound like a suction sound but a bit more acurate and stronger, The car is also idleng irraticly. Power is also down, What couls this be? Please help.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

I think we need a little more info.
It's a TwinSpark engine we assume, and is the puffing increasing in frequency when the engine is rev'd? Can you tell whether it's from the exhaust manifold, or could it be from the inlet manifold (plenum)?
Don't know if the 16v engine has the same setup as the 8v, but the air chamber on the 8v is attached to the inlet manifold via short rubber "hoses" which perish and split. As the noise is coming from the back of the engine, I would say it is more likely the intake rather than the exhaust manifold as that is at the front of the engine.

Dont want to be the barer of bad news but I reckon you may have a burnt valve. I would suggest you do a compression test. If you are a member of the AA or something like that. Drive a few miles away from where you live and call them out. They may do a compression test at the side of the road. They did for me and it was a burnt pair of valves. Hope it isnt though.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

145 , back , cyl , no4 , puffing , sound