146 ti Does any one have air con that works? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 21-06-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

146 ti

146 ti Does any one have air con that works?

As the subject says, Does anybody have an air con/climate control that actually blows cold air. No sun roof & car lke a green house. I would really of loved to own this car from new, just so I could see the car working perfectly,
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

146 1.6 1999

Thumbs Up Re: 146 ti Does any one have air con that works?

Not sure if just are just referring to the Ti model but I have just bought a mint 1.6 with all options and the sunroof works as does the air con!!
Touching wood!
AO Silver Member
County: -
Re: 146 ti Does any one have air con that works?

There is something wrong with yours so I suggest you get it checked out. From your avatar it looks like you have a facelift model? If so then it runs on a Sanden SD7V16 compressor and these are pretty efficient. The earlier cars use a different compressor which doesn't seem to be quite so good.

I've got a facelift and my aircon works very well and within a 5 minutes of it being switched on my car is like a fridge

One thing that is worth checking are the rubber hoses that run to the compressor (front left of the car as looking into the engine bay). These are very close to the exhaust manifold and there are a few cases where they have actually melted and all the gas has escaped through the hole.

Another possible issue is that if there is little gas in the system of the aircon has hardly ever been used then the seals inside the system harden and go brittle. This is because the gas actually contains the lubrication needed by the seals. With damaged/brittle seals, the performance will be seriously impacted. If you have aircon in the car you need to ensure you use it regularly to keep the seals properly lubricated.

Yep, mine works fine too, I use it all year round as it says in handbook because the car steams up inside so badly when it rains
AO Member

Member car:

W Reg 146ti

mine just works when it feels like it. have gassed it and compressor is working ok but just not very cold. might try a new condensor on it.
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands

got an early one, its not freezer cold, but still reasonable effective, it seems to do a better job of cooling the whole cabin rather than just freezing the driver.

Has the cable to the heater control snapper, as the cooled air can end up being warmed again if the cable has snapped and the heater matrix valve does not fully shut off. Does the aircon work when the car is first started on a warm day, then seems to loose cooling (cable) or does it not work under any condition (lots of other things)?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

146 , air , con , works