145/146 Handling - razor sharp... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
145/146 Handling - razor sharp...

...or old and baggy? I'm still thinking about a 146ti, but whilst I wait to view it again, I've also been looking at other hatchbacks, namely:

Citroen Saxo VTR
Ford Fiesta
Ford Focus
Pegeot 106
Peugeot 206
Peugeot 306

Now, of those, I've driven the Fiesta, the Focus and the 206. All of which handle superbly. Especially when you compare it to my current car, which is a 1994 Rover 214 SEi. I've also driven a 156GTA, which was simply mind-blowing. Simply from a driving/handling/roadholding point-of-view, how does the 145/146 stack up? I'm off to Wales soon, and what with the roads around there, I'd like a car that can handle. I've heard people say that th 145/146 is showing it's age, and so therefore isn't as good a drive as the aforementioned cars. I *really* don't want this to be true. I mean, it's an Alfam right? 'course they're gonna handle. Please!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0 16v SP3

You are correct in your assumption - either will handle fine and you won't be dissapointed. The biggest plus is the lack of Kev Racer accessories so you won't be tarred with the "Max Power" brush unlike all the other cars you listed, double so the Saxo!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

The 145/146 is probably not as good as a 306, but is much less scary!! The Focus is probably the best of the bunch.
Dunno about the 106/Fester etc. - bit small, and not really like for like is it??
I would prefer a 145QV over a 146 only on looks, but either are still great fun to drive and handle fine with plenty of feedback. They do suffer from body roll, and this is exaggerated by the high seating position, but the tyres hang on for a long time, and the turn is superb. They will take bumps and adverse cambers better than a 156, and have a finer engine than all of the other cars you mentioned put together.

Beware - no Alfa is best in class if you are working on statistics. You buy them because you want to, not because some maggy says it's best.
AO Gold Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Have to agree with Rick.The 2.o ts engine is a corker.With the possible exception af Hondas Vtec,there is no finer 4 cylinder motor.
Used to have a 2.olitre Focus.Handled brilliantly,and was reasonably quick,but engine was very coarse.
AO Silver Member
Oh boy oh boy oh boy.... spidey reminded me of the Honda S2000's engine....
AO Member

Member car:

My 2 cents worth!

I have a 145 1.4, & I don't think it rolls that much, but because of the high seats, it sometimes feels like it. However the actual cornering limits are very high, even on 185/60 14"s. Fairly neutral handling, whenever it's wet I do try and get the rear out on wet roundabouts, but it's quite hard!

A Focus may handle a bit better (I was impressed with the handling of a 2.0l U.S. spec Focus, even despite the US spec soft suspension)

Apart from this, the sound of an Alfa is always there, shifting down a gear in a tunnel or beside a wall and flooring it just to hear the engine/exhaust is not something you tend to do in a Ford!

Take a test drive, I don't think you'll be disappointed - well maybe with the plasticky dash, an/or assorted rattles , but these pale into insignificance when you're having fun!

ˇArriba, arriba, arriba, ándale, ándale, olé, olé, olé, ándale!
AO Member
I've found the handling to be quite neutral; I mean that in a good way. On long, fast bends mine is quite easy to get into a very controllable drift (all four wheels) which can be maintained by careful modulation of the throttle; power down to drift the front out, power off to step the rear back in line. The release of traction is quite gentle, there's no big surprises.

I find certain sliproads and roundabout exits to be a complete joy to the extent that I'll go one exit further on the motorway to get to a particularly superb one on my way to work some mornings.

Be careful, don't stack it though... wink

"Ah," said Dirk "it is a rare mind indeed that can render the hitherto non-existent blindingly obvious."

My 147 in the owner garage

The Workshop - Run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts

Have workshop manuals on CD for 147, 145/6, 156 and 75, PM for details...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 145 Clov...

PhadeRunner i do that same, its so much fun theres one round about near me. whic i can go around in my van at 30mhp but in my alfa sideways i can do 45mhp. But i do get more body roll in my alfa then my van.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 145 Clov...

AO Member
2.0 TS was hailed as one of the finest 2 litre engines in the world!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

handling , razor , sharp