replacement for 146 1.7 16v - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
replacement for 146 1.7 16v

Time to replace the ol`146 1.7v
I was thinking of 145 this time with twin spark engines, 1.6(if poss Junior),1.8 or 2.0.
A couple of things first.
1. is the 1.6 engine comparable to the 1.7 boxer.
2. is the 1.8 as good as the 2.0 (slightly less HP but cheaper running costs/insurance.
3.Is the Junior fun , the base 1.6 is lacking in the goodies dept.(1.7 has alarm,abs,alloys,sunroof and headlamp wash )
Sponsored Links
I don't know about the 1.6 I have a L8 model 145 1.8ts with 144bhp compared to 150bhp of the 2.0QV. The thing is the 2.0 has a shorter ratio 1st gear & about 20lb foot torque more so is quicker off the mark 8.3 0-60 4 the 2.0 compared to 9.0 of the 1.8ts, besides this the cars are identical, brakes, suspension etc. 1 annoying thing is that the 1.8 is slightly heavier on juice maybe 1-2 mpg less than the 2.0QV I think the Junior comes with the toys as it was the last model of the 145/6 so I think they tricked it up to keep sales up b4 replaceing it with the 147.
So it is up to u if u r a badge snob go for the 2.0 to get that little green clover leaf on ur Boot & Bodykit. If not the 1.8 is a fine alternative. If u want the 1.6 then I would determine this on ur journeys. If u just bomb around town then fine, but I have heard others say that the 1.6 can struggle on the big motorway journeys and can be a bit of a bore long distance. Hope this helps.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Lee145:
<strong>I don't know about the 1.6 I have a L8 model 145 1.8ts with 144bhp compared to 150bhp of the 2.0QV. </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't forget - when the 1.8 went to 144, the 2.0 went to 155 bhp.
If I had the extra brass, I would go for the 2.0QV every time.
AO Member
County: Cheshire
there's a bit of Junior confusion going on here! It wasn't around for long, and it wasn't made for the end of the 145 life.

Hold on, I have a copy of Parker's in my bag...

... the 1.6 TS was introduced in 1997 and was sold as the Junior in July 1998, but reverted to the 1.6 ts later in 1998. On top of standard spec it had nice alloys and a bodykit. That's what Parkers says. BUT it's wrong on the spec, so it might be wrong on the dates too. Did they reintroduce it at the end.

anyway, my Dad has one, and on top of the 15" alloys and bodykit it has:

Junior stitching on seats
6 stack CD player
Heated, coloured mirrors

So far as I remember, the rest of the spec is the same as a 1.7 (which I have).

Oh yeah, don't forget it has an s/s exhaust tip too!

156 2.4jtd working it's way towards perfect condition. Loving the diesel warpage!
AO Gold Member
The 2.0 TS also hauls the 166 around, so not a bad motor in a smaller car like the 145/146. 1.8 needs more revs to get fast, the 2.0 being a long stroke engine can also roll along with low revs in the city jungle.
I can`t provide a comparison. However, I recently purchased a 145 QV and couldn`t be any happier.

Great car.........
AO Member
the insurance cost for a 1.8 vs a 2.0 146 for me was only about 20 per year. Therefore no contest - it was 2.0 Ti all the way..... plus for some strange reason it's supposed to be more economical than the 1.8 - never understood that?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

146 , 16v , replacement