00 alfa 146 t spark 1.4 rev problems please help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 09-06-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

00 alfa 146 t spark 1.4 rev problems please help

my car keeps reving up and down and the idle moves up in revs and back down again. im having a mechanic look at it tomorrow he said it sounds like the carburetor is dirty? can anyone tell me if i am about to waste money with this guy? the engine seems to be very load almost like a diesel engine. im not sure where to go with the car here in dublin if i go to an alfa romeo garage i was told the costs would be more than the car is worth
any information would be greatly appreciated guys ill be on line for the rest of the evening cheers mark.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Re: 00 alfa 146 t spark 1.4 rev problems please help

There are no carburettors on the TS engines...they're a modern fuel injected setup controlled by an ECU

If your mechanic is suggesting carburettor problems then I suggest you might be better taking the car somewhere else because it's fairly evident that he's not worked on TS engine before.

The first thing you should do is try unplugging the MAF (Mass Air Flow meter) and see if it makes any difference to the running of the engine with it left unplugged. If not then next is to clean the throttle body. If that doesn't resolve the issue then suspect a faulty Idle Control Stepper Motor.

See the following post for more info and pictures...

Idling Problems - Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum

I won't be posting on this forum any more. If you want to know why and/or you want answers to some 145/146 related questions then please feel free to pop over to and post on the alfa145.com forum where you will find me with the same member name.

I have now disabled all my private messaging options on here but you can PM me over on the alfa145.com forum if you need to.
AO Member
Re: 00 alfa 146 t spark 1.4 rev problems please help

I had the same problem last month!

A few people on here suggested it could be a faulty stepper motor..
So i got my self on ebay and found someone who was selling a complete throttle body with the stepper motor etc on it and won it for 7.51 !!
Fitted it on the car and it sorted the problem out straight away!

If you want to change just the stepper motor I wouldnt bother, Id try and find someone on ebay who is breaking a TS engine and try get the stepper motor off of them - but fisrt ask them if the car was idling properly before they dismantled the car!

Hope this helps mate

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

146 , alfa , problems , rev , spark