Engine hunting @ idle - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Engine hunting @ idle

Hi, since i have had my motor 145 1.8ts (144bhp) I have noticed that occasionally the engine will hunt at idle (revs rise to 1500 then drop to 500) almost stalling. This usually happens at traffic lights. I would like to know if this is a common fault or is a normal characteristic of the engine. I can calm the effect to a certain degree by turning off all surplus systems i.e. air con, stereo etc. but I cannot duplicate the problem on my drive way. even by turning everything on @ once, the revs dip but then come back to idle no probs? Any1 had a similar problem??
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Hi Lee,
many threads on this item, it is the iDLE ACTUATOR , clean it out with Wd40 and you will be happy again.
(the IA sits on top of the Throttle house with 2 torque screws)
AO Member
Idle actuator is usually favourite but also check all hoses that are intake related for cracks/splits etc, sometimes they only really show themselves if you really give em a good squeeze and careful check.

If cracked or leaking in any way, you might be getting unmetered air which "confuses" the management system because it is only mixing the amount of fuel based on what the afm or equivilent is telling it is coming in. It's a fairly common problem on the V6 engines where the plenum hose (after the afm but before the plenum) cracks. 12v v6 164 owners have a 12 month backorder issue with Alfa on this part and some are relying on eletrical tape as a stop-gap solution.

Disgusting really.

'96 164 Cloverleaf

Now a Mercedes CLK 430 Coupe.

I have had this problem for a while now on my 155bhp ti. So far I have replaced the idle actuator and the air flow meter but still the problem remains. I have resolved that there must be a bad connection in one of the plugs as when I have changed each of the parts the problem has been cured only for the problem to reoccur 20 or so miles later.
I guess I must be making the bad connection good again for a while before the vibrations of the running engine must shake it loose again.

If your engine is as I suspect you will find the actuator on the right hand side of the throttle body as you look at it. This is the first part to look at as its the most common to fail.
Shame it cost's £114 from the dealer.

Good luck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

engine , hunting , idle