145/6 boxer tuning - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 12-05-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cheshire
145/6 boxer tuning

Don't want to hijack nemesis' thread!

Mc Guinn wanted to know what tricks there are to tuning the boxer engines. I wouldn't mind knowing more too. Here's my tuppence worth:

- decent airfilter and exhaust will add a good few hp.

- cat removal - anyone know how much power that could add?

- I've been told that the 1.7 unit was detuned when it went into the 145 to make it smoother. That stacks: it was 137bhp in the 33 and 129bhp in the 145. So retune it.

Don't bother with the cams - they're good as they are. If you put a fast road cam on, it will only mean you have to rev the nuts off the thing just to get away from the lights.

I don't know of anyone who's done this, but it must be possible (and not THAT hard): The old carb 1.7 33s used to pull very smoothly indeed. I reckon a pair of twin choke 45 Dellorto or Weber carbs would increase power and give you a bit more low end grunt too. If anyone has tried it in a 145, i'd like to hear more!

Matt (a regular poster on the 33 pages at www.alfa-pages.co.uk) currently has a 33 in the workshop being tuned to about 180bhp. That's effectively the same engine as a 145, so there's no reason why you couldn't do the same.

Your thoughts, gentlemen!

156 2.4jtd working it's way towards perfect condition. Loving the diesel warpage!
Sponsored Links
Squadra-chip? Only if you stay with injection ofcourse.

But twin carbs sounds nice! I once owned a 33 1.3S with 86hp(2 double carbs) and it sounded lovely! Nailed a lot of gti-s with that alfa!
A friend of mine had a 33 1.3S SW at the time and my car was more than a little bit faster!
Don't think a 145 1.7boxer twincarb without cat would pass any co test.

Other option:
-Remove weight! The main reason the 1.7 didn't made the 145 the fast car it should have been was that the 33 in wich it was beautifull was some 250kg lighter.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

boxer , tuning