EGR valve - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 15-04-03 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0 16v SP3

EGR valve

I think my EGR valve is stuck open and causing my car to not want to idle properly when hot.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so did you replace it yourself, it looks quite easy to get to?

I have checked the usual sensors and they all look OK and their connections are good. The EGR valve looks all rusted up to me as if its been knackered for quite a while! I know these cause problems on a lot of other makes with similar EFi systems, particularly 1.6 16v Vauxhalls.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
I thought the valve only worked when the engine was cold
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Nigel S:
<strong> particularly 1.6 16v Vauxhalls.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Grrrrrrr
Don't remind me.
In my boy racer days I had an early Corsa GSi 16v which sheared its cambelt pulley on the M62 and lunched the whole engine.
Eventually Vauxhall swapped the whole car for another one, and that needed a new EGR valve every 3 months. At least I could turn up at the dealers and tell them what was wrong with it!!
As I understood it it was like a flap in the exhaust pipe which under a light throttle directed some exhaust gases back round to the intake manifold for burning again. Then under a heavy load, it should flap open for full exhaust exit. Mine used to stick shut so you would boot it and the car would just wheeze and strain like it was constipated. Then eventually the flap would open and you would rocket off... nightmare in traffic!!
AO Member
Never having looked at the manifold in the 156 in any great detail I thought the EGR were now redundant with the lambda probe controlling the mixtures when the engine is cold in order to make it idle correctly.

More info on the EGR please to expand on my useless knowledge.
My 99" 146 1400 TS as the exact same problem and the Alfa garage canīt tell what it is...

The injection light is allways on and the car ONLY runs well when cold.

When it gets hot, it jump up and down from 500 to 1200 rpmīs aprox.

They told me it could be AFM (air flow meter) and changed it for a new one...well, it still runs badddddddddddddd grrrrrrrrrr

I donīt know what to do...

Can this EGR valve be envolved?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

egr , valve