164 3.0 V6 24v Temperature and suspension knock!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 10-04-03 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: -
164 3.0 V6 24v Temperature and suspension knock!!!

I have a 164 Cloverleaf 24v V6 and not unlike a recent topic, I find that the engine temperature behaves normally until I hit traffic. Then it starts to climb above 90 degrees and I begin to have a heart attack! I have been told that it could be that the radiator is knackered because it is gummed up, rather than the thermostat. I am hoping that it is the thermostat! Has anyone else experienced similar probs???

Also when going over speed bumps slowly, there is a dull thump from the drivers side. Again is this a problem that others have experienced, or could it be a wishbone arm or something?

Advice and comments would be really appreciated!

Rockin' all over the road!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0 16v SP3

Highly likely to be a knackered radiator, the cooling fins corrode and fall off, and lower wishbone bushes.

Common on all other contemporary Alfas, don't see why the 164 should be any different!!!
AO Gold Member
does the ventilator kick in at around 90 degrees C ? then there is nothing to worry...
the dull thump must be the bushes of the lower wishbones gone.

p.s. I have a new ventilator motor PM me if you are interested
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa gtv

Try flushing the rad through and replacing the coolant, which should be done every 2 years anyway.

You could also replace the rad switch for a VW one which cuts the fan in earlier, from memory at 87 degrees. I did both these things when I had a QV24, it did help, but I think the 24v was designed to run hot. I now have the QV12v and its stable and never get too hot.

The noise could be the bushes, if so you could replace with powerflex or similar. The A arms will have to be removed (fairly easy). Then just replace them all whilst your there. The powerflex do make the ride quite harsh though, I found experimenting with tyre pressures helped a little.

Michael 12QV

Alfa gtv 2.0 ts
Check if the ventilator kicks in around 90 degree C if not check the fuse on the fan's rellay it is in the engin cabin near the horn relay (second on the right side of the radiator, check also the unit on the radiator there is a two speed unit one kicks at 90 slow speed the other higher on fast speed, you can by pass it to see if the ventilator works.
If the fuse is blown then try to rotate the venta, if it rotats hard itmeanse the fan motor is gone, the current is high and thus fuse blown.
If the temp is ok when car is running then the radiator is not blockked.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

164 , 24v , knock , suspension , temperature