Terminal Gearbox - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Terminal Gearbox

I have a friend with a 1996 Alfa 155 2.0 16 valve. (Manual - UK)

He is about to try and sell the car to pay off a loan and sort out finances etc. but last night the gearbox went bang and he lost all drive.

I have had a look underneath it, and I'm sure it did go bang as there is a 3 cm round exit hole in the bottom of the casing eek!

I would like a bit of advice, - I have suggested to him that we look into swapping the box ourselves with a second hand one, so that he can sell the car as a working item.

I am a competent home mechanic with access to a lot of normal tools, but have not worked on his car before.

How is the gearbox swap done (does the engine have to come out or not, what special tools might I need).

Any hints tips or advice would be gratefully received before I persuede him to embark on this project.

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
engine does not need to get out just losening the engine and taking off the front wheel support, arms and drive axles.
It is not easy but with the rigth tools and a
hydraulic lift it can be done.
Think I know where this is a gearbox if its any help.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

I was told by a gearbox recondition expert that these Alfa units can explode as you have described when placed under heavy load. He believes that metal fatigue on the Sun and Planet gears can cause teeth to pop off, writing off the box...
Quoted me 600 euros for a recondition: replace bearings, replace sun + planet, and syncro-mesh.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

gearbox , terminal