164 Advice Needed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Dazed and confused
164 Advice Needed

Hello chaps and chapesses!!!

I need help.......err....... actually I'l re-phrase that.

I'm looking at buying a 164. I really like the look of them, but I need to know what sort of trouble I'm letting myself in for. The lot over at the Parkers forum tell me I'm looking at some serious problems so I thought I'd ask the experts.

What can I expect to go wrong on one, and which one is better? The 2.0 or the 3.0??
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Hi 164 toad !
nothing wrong with that car, except the electronics which can play bananas, mostly bad contacts (eroded) I've driven 2.0 3.0 and they go like S... from a Shovel the 3.0 is a bit thirsty.
But a great car and don't believe all those Alfa bashers... let them return to their Vauxhalls and Mondeos . Check for oil leaks (cracked sumps !!) and brakes.
AO Member

The 164 is a good car but like many Alfa's it does have it's weaknesses.

First problem you have is finding one that has been loved and looked after properly and by that I mean a car that has has the proper maintenance and a proper service history. Consider condition over miles as both the 2.0 and 3.0 units are pretty much bullet proof if looked after.

I have had a 1991 TS which never let me down, it handled well and was pretty damn fast, the older units (pre 1993) are a bit basic though and really starting to show their age. Not sure what your budget is so there is an awful lot of choice.

The 24v Cloverleaf is the flagship of the range and you can pick up a pristine, well looked after example for about £4-5k but you will see them for alot less than that (be careful).

I could go on and on but if you want some detailed advice feel free to mail me. There isn't alot I dont know about this model of car and the things that can go wrong. mikeroo99@hotmail.com

'96 164 Cloverleaf

Now a Mercedes CLK 430 Coupe.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

164 , advice , needed