Reluctant cold starter - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Reluctant cold starter

About two weeks ago, my 99 145 Cloverleaf began to have trouble starting from cold (e.g. after having been left over night). I've had it for almost five months, and up until then it had always started perfectly every time.

Symptoms are that the engine turns over no problem, but won't fire. The injector light flickers on. After a couple of goes, I can catch it with the accelerator pedal, and then it's fine.

Realise it could be the spark plugs, but in my experience things are never that simple! Does anyone have any other ideas? And it may just be a co-incidence, but the shortly after it happened the first time, the airbag light came on (some sort of electrical fault??).

Also think I can detect a very slight diesel noise until the engine is up to temperature - but might just be paranoia after reading all the threads about variators!

Cheers for any advice.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
check your battery, 99 percent of starting problems are a matter of a weak battery, especially with the cold winter we have now.
Just a month ago (and my car started perfectly) I decided to buy a new battery (my car is 6 years old and still had the original battery).
Even now with temps 13 degrees below centigrade my car only needs one tick on the key... and runs.
Which is more than I can say for cars in the neighbourhood with their mouth open in the morning.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

Hi, Welcome to the forum!

I had a similar problem occur on my '99 Cloverleaf, which turned out to be a bad connection to the temperature sensor on the thermostat housing - if you moved the connector the injector light would go on and off and eventually stayed on all the time. It may be worth checking this .

Otherwise I would say that you need to get the car hooked up to a diagnostic rig as it sounds like there may be a problem with a sensor somewhere.

Hope you airbag problem does not get any worse, I've had loads of grief with mine (still ongoing ).

Let us know how you get on!

Visit my Flickr pages at

My Alfa History: 1983 Alfasud Sprint Speciale, 1999 145 Cloverleaf (QV), 2001 156 2.0 TS, 2003 156 2.0 JTS
My Current Alfa: 2005 GT 3.2 V6
Thanks for the suggestions - will try it with a new battery.

I'll also check the temp sensor - where is the thermostat housing (have to excuse my ignorance)?

When I test drove the car, the airbag light was on, but the Dealer sorted it out - hopefully they can do the same again. I'm in Belgium for a couple of months, so will probably wait until I get back to the UK (which is where I bought it).

AO Member
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Thermostat housing is on the right hand side of the engine level with the block and looks a bit like an artificial heart to look at with all the pipes going into it. The sensor is a blck moulded plug on the top I think but it's there somewhere.
If the Thermostat has gone, you will need to replace the entire unit as it's one piece and it's a dealer part only. £80 gbp

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

cold , reluctant , starter