146 stutter during acceleration - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
146 stutter during acceleration

My apologies for the vague description (im posting this for my partner's friend), but thought someone might recognise this sympton...

Car : 146 1999 1.8TS red

During acceleration (30 - 40mph I believe) the car stutters. It seemingly acts as if you have jumped off the gas and then back on. From then on its fine. I asked if she thought it happened at a particular rev or gear, but she wasn't sure. She is pretty positive that it isnt anything to do with the car being cold as it can happen at anytime.

The car has already been into the garage (and had "something to do with oxygen" replaced) but the problem is still occurring.

Id appreciate any ideas you have.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
sounds to me like the Lambda sensor, but it may also be the idle actuator... (I had that myself)
regards and an Alfish good newyear wink
"(and had "something to do with oxygen" replaced)".......guess this'll be the Oxygen sensor (lambda sensor).

Lambda problems (misfiring/hesitation/cutting out/high revving) usually come at any speed/revs so back to the garage methinks! Idle actuator possibly but this usually causes problems at lower speeds/tickover.

Might be worth checking all the plug leads and well. Oil can leaks into there from the rocker cover gasket and allow arcing to occur. Have the plugs been changed yet?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ill pass it on and let you know the outcome.

Happy new year.
Air flow sensor, is where i would start its the cheapest option and if your a little hand easy to change youself...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

146 , acceleration , stutter