Sad, sad day - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Sad, sad day

My '96 N Cloverleaf recently developed an oil leak, which was only discovered when the oil light came on followed by a horrible rattly noise from the engine. Its still running and driveable but I wont use it in case it does any more terminal damage (if thats possible). Anyway, it seems that a new engine is the only way to go so does any one know of a decent 2.0 Twin Spark engine for sale? The devastating part is that I cant afford to get the car repaired and keep it so I'll have to sell it when the repair is done. I'm truly destroyed, I loved that car. On the other hand if anyone wants to buy the car as it is as a cheap project it'd save me a lot of messing about. Perhaps a V6 conversion for someone with the money? I dont know, maybe the engine in it can be saved, as I said its still running but I cant afford to look into it. Anyway, if anyones interested in taking it as it is or has an engine for sale you can email me at The cars recently had all new belts and tensioners and a clutch and is in really nice condition all round and is red.
Sponsored Links
I forgot to say the cars lowered on SPAX springs and I've got a custom cat-back stainless system but its not fitted at the moment.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Any further details on the exhaust system? How much you'd want for it separately, etc?
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex

This may seem like a silly question, but if the car starts and drives, what makes you think there is anything seriously wrong with the engine? I assume you topped it up with oil before you ran it again?
Yep, I filled it back up with oil and took it for a run and it sounded terrible and rattly. I didnt dare push it so I couldnt tell it if it had lost any power but there was quite a bit of smoke coming from the exhaust when I was driving and from under the bonnet when I was at a standstill. When I got back I noticed that the oil I had just put in was all over my drive and down the road where I had drove off. As I say, perhaps fixing the leak and filiing it with oil might sort out the problem because it hasnt seized or anything but I really cant afford to try anything and then find out it needs more work so I've just got to cut my losses and sell up. I'm still gutted but I'll get another one when I stop messing about at uni and get a proper job.
James, the system is a custom stainless powerflow one made by Clovertech down south. Its got a Scorpion back box with a round 4" tailpipe which isnt exactly subtle but I looked into it and apparently if you take it to a place that builds systems they can change the tailpipe for a few quid. I bought it off a lad on here a while back but never got round to putting it on. I've got no need for it now so you can have it for 90 if you want. Let me know either way. Ta.
AO Gold Member
Hi there,
condolances with the demise of the Cloverleaf...
did you find out where the leak is ? I busted the sump on my Ti (same engine) and after putting a new sump on it, it was all OK..
I wish you luck
AO Silver Member

Member car:

155 Q4

whooa there im in liverpool and know an alfa tech get in touch 07703 128 755 dont break car just yet we might b e able to save it im in stoneycroft and have manuals for 2.0 engines get in touch where there is a will there is a way wink
Ta for the offer Fletch but things are looking up now anyway. My dads had it up on the ramps and found out why it wasnt holding its oil. Apparently theres a bracket between the sump and gearbox which had caught on something. (The ramps in the multi-storey car park in Queens Square I reckon, if your cars lowered dont try parking in there, its murder!) Anyway, this broke the sump hence the loss of oil. He started the car and said it didnt sound too bad and cos I havent been driving it theres no reason there should be any major damage so its now just a case of replacing the sump and that, fill it with oil and see how we get on. Thanks again for the offer of help, I'll fill you in on how we get on.
Admin Team
County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ryan145:
<strong>(The ramps in the multi-storey car park in Queens Square I reckon, if your cars lowered dont try parking in there, its murder!) </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'll bare that in mind!

This is turning into a nice little scouse thread now - anyone else?

I'm in W. Derby if anyones interested.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

day , sad