164 3L V6 Auto??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Alfa Wardie
164 3L V6 Auto???

Seen a Black 1991 164 3L V6 for sale.Lusso with leather.127k on the clock.£675
I've had a test drive, everything seems ok.Bodywork is in good nick.Electrics work (Apart from mirrors).Engine is very tidy.Going back on Wenesday to have a better look, Check oil, coolant etc.

So......What do u think.What should i look out for?

I will be replacing the Cambelt if i get it.
Thanks in Advanve for any help
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

75 LE

check the bushes on the front wishbones, they could be worn out, could be on it's second set.
Easist way of checking is jack up front wheel & move the wheel in & out, watch for the wishbone moving, 1 or 2 mm movement would be ok,
If they are worn offer £500 & haggle like fury
AO Member
Check that auto box shifts up and down when it is supposed to, older auto boxes prone to problems and need expensive works if not been looked after.

Does the aircon work? Can you redirect air from feet to windscreen? Turn the ignition to stage 2 and listen for clicking/scraping noise..if very bad then stepper motors are gone or about to go...not a nice job and very expensive unless you are really patient and mechanically minded.

Expect to maintain the car at some cost if you buy it but it is worth every penny if you consider a BMW (naff car) would prob cost you 3 times as much.

'96 164 Cloverleaf

Now a Mercedes CLK 430 Coupe.
Alfa Wardie
Thanks for the advice.Will let u know how i get on........

BTW going to be driving a 147 GTA tomorrow from Guildford to Reading for some motorshow thing.Very intrested to see how she goes.
it is your Alfisti duty to stop by my office en route and let me take the GTA for a quick spin

Alfa Wardie
He He.
Lets face it Guilford to Reading aint gonna take long, which is a real shame......
Also going to Reading, we have a 166 a Vauxhall VX220 and 2 147's, one of which is the GTA!Might try and get some Pics

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

164 , auto