145 fFreezing Handbrake cure? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 07-11-02 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
145 fFreezing Handbrake cure?

I know its abit early for this but prevention is better than cure they say! Winter is approaching and I don't want to be stuck with the infamous frozen 145 handbrake for yet another year.

Does anyone have a cure for this? I seem to remember someone suggesting spraying WD40 up the outer casing of the cables. Or is there another thing to try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

edgasket

Sorry, what eek! ? The hand brake freezes?

AO Member

Oh dear - heading for my first 145 winter! Hope someone knows the answer!

I once had this happen in a Fiesta, there was snow, I never realised the rear wheels were locked until I did a 720 degree spin going down a hill (fortunately slowly).
AO Platinum Member

Handbrake freezes can affect any car.

This is the time of year I usually just get my head under the back-end and grease anything that looks like it pivots, slides or moves.

I never lost a handbrake yet.

And give all your locks a squirt of WD40 (or better still, that spray grease that Halfords sell) before this wet weather turns to ice and you end up locked out of your motors.

Ralf S.
wrinx

Affects the 155 too, I've got used to parking up and not putting the handbrake on if it looks like a cold night is ahead!!

Check the caliper end of your cable, the rubber seal perishes allowing moisture to enter the "U" shape and freeze. Replace it or apply liberal amounts of grease

wrinx

(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 08-11-02 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Thanks guys, I'll get my grease gun out this weekend! I've have heard of it affecting other cars aswell, its just that every 145 I've owned has done this if the freeze is severe. Its no fun in the morning waiting for the heat from the exhaust to thaw out the handbrake mechanism!

edgasket, forewarned is fore-armed, get that handbrake mechanism greased up. Our Cloverleaf is pre-facelift too in Titanium Grey, I prefer all the slots and slats at the front on this model to the smoother later cars. Looks more aggressive IMO.
Aeneas

I've had a 145jtd last year and experienced this problem twice. The first time it was solved just be moving back an forth over just 2 or 3 meters.
The second time it took over half an hour to get it rolling again!

I think the real solution is not to use the handbreak in case of frost.
Just park it in gear, the dealer advised me.

AO Member

Hm... Solution is very simple. NEVER use handbrake when parking in the winter. Use 1st gear or reverse instead.

Dont forget to use the clutch when starting though....
AO Member

Had a frozen handbrake on my Fiat Croma once and the effect was pretty amazing with glowing (orange) rear Discs under the sexy alloys at night - actually nearly got knocked down whilst admiring them on the hard shoulder of the M4. eek!
learned a lession, not to wash in cold weather -
AO Member

remember last year my 146's cable seized, just felt the car draggin a litte bit and it was only about 2 miles to my house, so started driving at about 10mph until i got to a roundabout, chased the back end around, and went back to friends house! , rear disks were red hot but still locked!! , went back in the morning expecting to have to prize off some burn on pads, but luckly the thing was fine!
axi

as the others said....don't use the handbrake in winter over the night. last winter my right rear wheel blocked and i didn't realise for some 3km well i noticed that something ain't right because the car didn't pull as it should in the 5th gear. and also the car wasn't going straight so i knew something was wrong.
i guess i was lucky that there was snow on the road. when i stopped i saw that the disc was really hot. so i went for a beer or two and the wheel was moving again wink

robertlaird

My car suffers from the same problem also.

Same as everyone else, use your gears to hold the car.

The problem occurs because the rubber bungs that block the cable tubes perish.

I did try to get hold of new bungs but was told they were only available with a complete new handbrake set (surprise surprise)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

Tags
145 , cure , ffreezing , handbrake