145 Rear screen wash - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
145 Rear screen wash

The rear screen washer on my 145 Cloverleaf does ot seem to work anymore. I can hear the motor working, but no spray. I have filled it up, or at least I have filled up under the bonnet, there isn't another one hidden in the boot or anything is there?

Any one got any ideas what the problem could be?
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Blocked tube, kinked tube, hole in a tube, knacked pump, blocked nozzle, etc.

I'd start at the washer bottle (which as far as I know is the one under the bonnet) and then just trace the pipe along to see if you can figure out where the problem is. Rear washers can be a problem on some cars if they haven't been used for a while, as the water tends to drain out the pipe and it takes ages for it to pump enough through again.

I believe that the same pump is used for front and rear screens (could be wrong), so if the front is working then that rules the pump out...

AO Member

Member car:

145 & GT

Have a look at the holes on the wipers assembly where the water comes from, they may be blocked with limescale. Thanks to the design of the unit, water can lodge in that part of the wiper assembly.

I noticed that one of the jets on my 145 was going off at a funny angle because the hole was half blocked with limescale. A quick scrape with a sharp knife and it was as good as new.

Just another thing to try before opening your wallet to get it fixed....
Is water draining out anywhere? I had a non-return valve pop its innards out on the front screen. Meant the water was being pumped but never reached the screen.

AO Member
had a problem with the rear jets on my 146, pump was working fine (tested by taking the tubes off operating the pump and blasting water round the engine bay .. hmm!) turns out on the hatchback the pipe had come away from the connecter near the jet itself and had been collecting lots of water in the plastic surround, which i found out when i took it off... and got wet again!

AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

04 147 GTA

my 145 suffered same. section of tubing just inside the car behind the rear window has frayed from its connector. Water dripping down on the rear passenger seat made it easy to find exactly where the problem is. As said, earlier, trace it from the source and work your way along as best you can. For what its worth, the tubing travels along the passenger side upper panelling, just beneath the roof.
Thanks guys, unfortunately some lad ran into my car last night, so I have got to get that fixed before I have a crack at anything else.

He drove into the drivers side, backside panel, just above the wheel arch. Did not break the side window or anything. Went to a couple of bodyshops this lunchtime, they guessed about 1,500 to 2,000, but am waiting to hear definite costs. Bugger

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

145 , rear , screen , wash