alfa164 heating - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
alfa164 heating

i recently bought an alfa 164 back end of summer, graet car great drive.i have no heting ,the system has beenbled new thermostat and the garage bloke said the matrix is ok he thought it maybe something, maybe a switch right inside the dashboard but said he didnt have the equipment to sort it or maybe he just didnt want to do it . i would be grateful for your comments its getting cold now.thanx
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Come on dude, a little more info please!

What model do you have? What year is it? Can you control fan speed? Can you redirect air from feet to windscreen?

Let us know

.....just hoping for your sake it is not the stepper motors.
thanx for your reply. the car is a 1991 2.0 twin spark 164. the fan control speed can be adjusted and the directional flow is ok too.
AO Member
As mentioned above the problem sounds like the stepper motors which control the proportions of hot and cold air in the heating system.Do you get a clicking noise when the ignition is switched on?
The heater always receives engine temperature water and the stepper motors control the air flow temperature.
It is a fairly major operation to fix the motors(problem is a stripped plastic gear).There is a cd available describing the operation.Some people have managed a repair on the gear without removing the dash.
As a temporary fix it is possible to move the lever controlling the air mix manually(under the bonnet somewhere). You then have no control over the heating but you can get heat.
AO Member

Member car:

alfa75V6 200hp

I had the same problem, if its the stepper motor
in the glove box then it took me 2hrs to get it out.And a hour to put it back.tricky bit is feeding it back through the smaller hole,in relation to the odd shape of the unit,then recliping the cables back in. rest is easy,well it was for me. good luck!!!.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

alfa164 , heating