I need some alfaowner tech support - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
I need some alfaowner tech support

I have had my 146 about 5 months and i have a six month warranty and a few problems. When i bought the car i noticed the said diesel engine sound (at startup) but didn't realise it was a problem!!! Also when i turn my heater (hot only) on i can get the smell of engine fumes....ANY ADVICE. moving on. My real problem is this last week whilst driving to work i noticed a drop of power it kept droppng intil my 2000 1.4TS had the power of a 1l seat ibiza(i used to drive one) there was also a backfire/chugging noise, and when the car was idleing it felt like it would cut out and the whole car would shake but it was drivable. I thought plugs and as it was under warranty i thought i would bring it back to the garage. After 2 hours debug they told me there was condensation in my cylinders and cleaned my plugs and it worked ok(they were vague) but there was nothing to stop it happening again it could even happen if i go thru a puddle!!!!!. The diesel noise isn't fixed nor the heater, but the chugging is gone. I dont believe the problem was with the plugs (it sounds too easy) but 1 am ignorant of car mechanics. What should i do about these 3 problems. Please help BTW the car is going back to the alfa shop next tuesday so i would like some technical ammo to throw back at them. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Hi Deegs

Sounds suspiciously like the lambda sensor to me, can be fine one day and awful the next.

Would be worth checking all the leads, plug wells etc if moisture is a problem.

AO Gold Member
Hi deegs,
the diesel noise maybe the hydraulic valve lifters (one or more) the Lambda sonde is also suspect. Then you can have a broken variator
(thats the thing that adjusts the cam timing during reving up)
have it checked and make sure within quarantee time, it will cost you

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

alfaowner , support , tech