Smile factor - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Clappy

Smile factor

Just bought my first Alfa last week, 1996 146 Ti. Gotta say it's the dog's ! Love that induction roar ! Went from a Rover 216 Coupe (~115 BHP) to 150, loads more drivable andmuch more style.

Whats the score with performance enhancement for the 146 Ti ? Any advice welcome.......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

pat155

Hey Clappy ... welcome to the world of Italian style !!
I am on Alfa number 3 (and Italian car number 7)
So far the only performance enhancement has been a Squadra chip ... relatively easy to change as long as you are a little bit patient. The performance gain is not instantly recognisable but I think you get a feel for it over time.
Am thinking about upgrading the brakes on my 145 Cloverleaf ..it seems to go quicker than it stops !!
Anyway ..good luck. You will see loads of real enthusiasts on this site !!

AO Member

Ive fitted a Squadra chip, Replacement K&N element, Strut Brace and thats about it so far. Chip and filter were fitted at different stages, so can say I felt a differance with both. With the Chip it feels to have more torque and the roll on in higher gears is better. Watch the fuel consumption though because mine got worse! Oh and you have to use Super unleaded with the Squadra. Supposed to make arout 10 -13 bhp increase. Brakes next for me.

Great engines, that you cant get enough of!!! Have Fun!
robertlaird

I've had loads done to the car, naturally it depends how much you want to spend, but I'd recommend getting the suspension sorted out, the ti corners well, but can be dramatically improved.

Eibach springs, Eibach anti-roll bars, Koni sport shocks and a strut-brace, you can travel so quickly into and out of bends..

Brakes could be improved also, when I used to drive the standard car hard, the brakes faded very quickly.

I live in a village which is a bit more than a stone's throw away from Melton, we could meet up and you could have a test drive?

Clappy

There is definitly something to be said for Italin Enginering thats for sure. I've been joking at work that I'm in the Italian Sports car market now ! They've been trying to compare the 146 to a family car ? what do they yhink it is, a Ford Mondeo ????? I guess the first Mod I'll be doing is either filter replacement of full inductino kit ? we'll have to see........

Where abouts in the "Leicestershire" area are you Rob ? are you a member of any of the local AROC ? I'll be looking to go over to Woodhouse Eves (just outside loughborogh) when I get back from Ireland. Think thier meet is second wednesday of the month (?)

robertlaird

If you're looking for a performance mod, I'd recommend the replacement filter and not the indiuction kit. The induction kit is good for a laugh because of the sound..

I'm not a member of any AROC, I'm nearer Nottingham than Melton, but there are some great twisty roads in between.

Clappy

There are indeed some great twisty roads between Melton and Nottingham, mainly leading upto the A 46 if I'm not mistaken.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

Tags
factor , smile