AirBag problem. Switch error 0018 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 20-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
AirBag problem. Switch error 0018

Hi All,

Airbag problem. Switch error 0018

Using Laptop with new Alfadiag and USB KKL/OBD2 adapter.

I have pulled the plugs from the passenger side and checked the two wire and three wire connections.
two wire O/C no passenger
two wire 3 Ohms with passenger

Three wire to side Airbag, Black wire in connector is O/C to the other wires. (the pins in the connector do not line up)
Three wire to side Airbag, Coloured wires are connected together and have a constant resistance after removing shorting springs - prob firing tantalum fuse wire. (Note, only using very low current digital meter to test).

Had to stop testing as it started to rain !

Some thoughts on the matter.

Am I looking at the correct seat ? although the software says its the passenger side, does it know it's a Right Hand Drive Car ??

When I get a chance I'll pull the driver side cables and test these as a comparison.

Has anyone else had this problem ?

I have seen comments that some people solder a link as the switch fails. Where would this link be and does it need to have a resistor inline with the link ?

I guess if I did this, and had a crash, both Airbags would go off even if no one was in the real passenger seat (LHSF).

I'd appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
County: Wiltshire
Re: AirBag problem. Switch error 0018

OK, It does know it's LHDand your in the right area, but it will more than likely be a glitch, I take it the airbag light is on on the dash, this will just need to be reset, it normally happens whe you move the passenger seat from end to end on the rails and the plug just breaks the cicuit for a nanosecond, the AB ECU pics up a snag and illuminates the light. Don't break yourself chasing the fault, you wont find it, just reset the light and get driving again.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 21-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Airbag light is on. All parts tested as above, but error code still comes up once reset. (I have tried this a number of times now).

Will reset if I sit in the passenger side, but as soon as I get up, the dash warning light comes on again.

So my thinking is that the Airbag parts are ok, but there is a problem with the switch in the passenger side seat.

Seems to read ok when I'm in, so contacts making ok but O/C when I get up, so must be some sort of resistor or diode across the switch that is no longer being detected, hence the light comes back on. i.e. constant continuity testing in place.

I really need to pull apart the driver side and see what that is doing/reading.

Does anyone know how to take the switch out ? do I need to remove the seat from the car, or is there a simple way ?

Vehicle is a 146 1.6TS (facelift) year 1999.

Really appreciate any advise from other peoples experiences. Thanks.
AO Member

airbag code 32 - Automotive Forums .com Car Chat
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 22-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi All,

It’s been a wonderful day down here in Torbay, so under the seats and pull all the wires out for testing to continue.
As luck would have it, the driver side does not have a seat sensor. Which makes sense, someone has to be driving ! But does not give me anything to go on.

I have connected an Ohm meter to the switch and jumped about a bit of the seat, not very scientific I know, but I really do not want to buy the Alfa sensor, as I’ve just been quoted over £100 for one ! And they cannot guarantee it will be the right one !

So with the laptop in hand and a variable resistor across the switch, testing commenced.
Approx 8K Ohms still give the fault, but down around the 4.6K Ohms, it thinks someone is in the seat and the fault can be cleared.
A few minutes later the seat switch connector had been cut off and a 4.6K Ohm resistor was soldered in place.
Fault code cleared and has not come back.

I do realize that in the event of a “bump” all the airbags will go off. But that’s got to be safer than no airbags at all.

I will keep an eye out for a s/h seat switch, which I would like to test to see what the default readings are.

If anyone has any info, please post. Thanks.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

0018 , airbag , error , problem , switch