swerving under braking ?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 05-07-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
swerving under braking ??

Recently my car has begun to knock at the front end, and it seems to wander and swerve under braking, anybody got any ideas ??

Im led to believe this is quite common on 155`s,
could it be the front lower wishbones ??

Sponsored Links
AO Member
I suppose it could be one of many things.
check your shocks for leakage (check rebound for extra bounce)

jack the front wheels up and pull/push the bottom of the wheel if there is movement the ball joints on the wish bones might have some play in them

Are you rear brakes working properly, it might be that all the braking is happening with only your front brakes. (weight transfer is lifting the rear und up)
AO Silver Member
sound a fair guess tho...

AO Member

Member car:

156 veloce

Ive got exactly the same problem im ordering some new bearings and im not sure what the other part i need is but i can see play in the lower wish bones when my dad shakes the wheel, but i dont know exactly the part to order, any help guys?
AO Member

Like 155andproud and your goodself, I've got that same prob on my 146. I had my bearings checked and there was no play but there's alot of wear in my lower wishbone bushes, as mentioned above.

The braking symptoms were much reduced when I put a new set of tyres on for some reason (I had a real hotchpotch collection on my car). I have noticed a slight lean to the driver's side though (hardly noticable from the front but quite pronounced from the back) and I'm hoping that's due to the worn bushes (and maybe the ****e state of my rear shocks). Does yours lean over at all ?

BTW, another AO member has recommended trying Powerflex bushes, says they're really hard wearing.
Hi Gaz

This has been mentioned on the alfaowner sister site alfa155.com, sounds like the wishbone bushes to me. Poweflex are JUST bringing out replacement bushes for the 155, its taken them a few years wink

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

braking , swerving