Lazy Handbrakes!!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 04-01-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
Lazy Handbrakes!!!!

OK Can anyone help??

Due to the current thouroughly crap cold weather, my 145 handbrake has decided to go all lazy on me! Basically it appears to be freezing up! First morning my drive to work felt like I'd lost 50 HP, as it was slightly sticking and then deciding to box clever the last few nights and park it without the handbrake, its decided to freeze so I cant use it now! Anybody having this problem or got any ideas to cure it??

And if anyone suggests moving country then Ive already thought of that!!!

Sponsored Links
Spooky, I thi k this is a cold weather prob, rather than a 145-specific issue. The same happens to my Golf in the winter, so I leave the handbrake off and stick it in gear when parked. Personally wouldn't worry too much about it, it'll probably sort itself out when the weather improves. Let's hope... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I also posted some info in the 156/147 etc forum about winter tips under the driving on ice/snow topic... I agree with GTV6 though, this has nothign do with type of car, it's a general thing. Jusdt be glad you don't drive an old saab with the handbrake working on the front wheels... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
AO Member
Slightly different slant on drive has a slight upward pointing slope so I'm in the habit of leaving my car in gear along with the handbrake on.

I've found that the handbrake is reluctant to hold the car, even though there is plenty of room left for adjustment (I'm going to ask thedealer to adjust it anyway as the car has to go in next week anyway). But unlike any other car I've ever owned the handbrake won't hold the car when left in gear. Left it yesterday without the handbrake on ands in started to move backwards and sounded to me like it was trying to start up when it rollled....luckily I was in the car and it only got a yard or so before I jammed on the brakes....never heard of a car trying to jump start itself...!!!!
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire
Although the freezing handbrake thing seems to affect other cars aswell, it does in my experience seem common on the 145. Out of all the cars I've owned only the 145s have suffered. I've spent many hours sat outside waiting for the heat from the exhaust to defrost the cable on a previous 1.8 and our present Cloverleaf!

A friend of mine has a Fiat Coupe which also has this problem. I wonder if they share the same handbrake system?
155 v6....frozen handbrake for 3 days last week.
Must have looked comical dragging its rear wheels along the snow & ice to tarmac!

Seems to be a cut-off point of -3degs.
Have read somewhere on a forum that it's designed badly - even spraying 1/2 a can of WD40 on the area didn't prevent it recurring after the 1st day.
Founder of AO
County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

I personally believe that you will need new handbrake cables. Are the rubber shields still in place on the cable near the calipers?

Try and push the rear caliper handbrake arms back to disengage the brakes, this can be done by laying under the car. If they then free the wheels, you know where the problem lies.

AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0TS

Also happened on my old Bravo HGT last year. How I laughed as I became increasingly late for work... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

handbrakes , lazy