Flying stones=Bad paintwork - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Flying stones=Bad paintwork

Hi All, i recently just bought my first alfa,
146 1.4 TS 2000, alfa red,
I drive a lot on major roads at the speed limit but have a problem with stones giving tiny chips on my paintwork, Besides getting the car re-sprayed(ya right) is there anything i can do to remove the unsightly blemishes??(i heard a while back about red wax/polish...any good)
cheers [img]smilies/cwm2.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
AO Member
If like my car it has chipped the red paint off and has left the white primer, then the T-cut colour fast (it thats what you are re-ferring to) does not really hide them.

It covers the little scratches so that they are not so visiable, but it needs to be re-done after a few washes.

There are companys that can repair stone chips and i have heard they they can do a very goo job

Other than these people or a resprat i am not sure what else can be done.
AO Member

Member car:

145 & GT

Hi deegs - as a fellow traveller on the roads of our fair isle I can tell you know you will get depressed, I bought my 00 145 last year without a blemish on it and now 20K miles later the bonnet and front bumper have loads of marks in them. I'm not sure there is much you can do really as the shape of the 145s nose is prone to chips....I bought a fine artists brush and I got a touch up paint from my dealer which I carry in the boot all the time, as soon as I find a stone chip I fill it before the paint has a chance to lift (and it can as I saw on my mates company 145)

I've resigned myself to the prospect of getting the bonnet and bumper sprayed in a couple of years....
hey Buddy, do you usean alfa red paint or do you just use a regular paint? If so whats the diff in price?? Thanks both of ye for the reply.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa gtv

I had the same problem. The best way is to buy Mer stone chip repair kit, available at halfords 24.99. Watch the supplied video and u will be able to make totally invisible repairs to stone chips and scratches. It is one of the best car products i have ever seen and I do not say this lightly. My car had scores of stone chips and scatches on the bonnet from the local cats ( for some reason they like sleeping on my bonnet ! with horrid results when they jump off !) I used the Mer kit and repaired 72, yes 72 marks and scratches. It took a weekend, but the bonnet now looks like its had a respray. The Mer polish is also very good.

Alfa gtv 2.0 ts

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

flying , paintwork , stonesbad