146 Lost it's growl! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 07-03-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
146 Lost it's growl!

changed the air filter the other day, used a champion one 6ish, car seems a bit happier as the old one was a bit dirty and damp but i've lost the lovely low rumble you get from the engine! it's not as musical as it was! guess the airfilter is to blame, i also put in some oil treatment in a vain effort to keep the cam ticky things as happy as possible, and some injector cleaner, but dont think either of those would have made the car quieter!

anyway probably will put another filter in, but was thinking about putting in a K&N 57i induction kit, any good? i know that will get my rumble back but wondered if it's worth the 70odd , or i could go for a 30 from the "shop" or just a regular alfa one!

any opinions?!

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
I tried a foam replacement filter once and it did have a touch more induction noise - going back to paper element quietened things down again. I don't know what a cone filter will do but people do seem to like them.

An oil additive may also help make the car quieter as it thickens up the oil. I don't know if they're that cost effective though - changing the oil regularly (or every 10 as opposed to 12,000 miles) is preferable, I reckon.

Ralf S.
I used to have a K&N induction kit on my 146ti. It made a great noise but that was about it. I lost low down pulling away response, although did 'seem' to be more responsive at the top end. I eventually got rid of it and now use a K&N replacement filter only - don't waste your money! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

146 , growl , lost