Air Filter On A 1.4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 18-02-02 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

145 & GT

Air Filter On A 1.4

I'm looking to replace my air filter and I was considering a Green or BMC replacement panel filter. I can only find a replacement panel filter for my 1.4 from BMC. Green do both a Single and Twin cone induction kit for the 1.4 but I'm a bit reluctant to go that route as I imagine it would push my already ridiculous insurance through the roof....

Any advice on the benefits drawbacks of these replacement panels/induction kits appreciated......

Sponsored Links
AO Member
If you want to increase the Torque on you engine get a panel filter like a K&N / BMC.
If you want a better throttle response and more BHP, then go for a cone filter

Thats the theory, i have a k&n panel filter on my 146 1.7, and just got it run on a rolling road. it is now running 141HP and 118nm of torque suppoesd to be 129HP.

The BMC cone filters in the Alfaowner shop sound lovely when you stick your foot e. supposed to be 130HP down. [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img]

As for insurance, i dont see any need to tell them, i havent. not sure if that would make any difference. if i have an accident, and they querie it, then i will say it was on the car when i bought it, and thought is was standad.

Have to agree with extreme I have never seen the point in declaring it either. If I'm in the unfortunate position as to have an accident I will have the car towed home and swap the induction filter back to original equipment! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

To be honest have never noticed any power gain in the green dual cone that I have on the car but it sounds great and also aid's engine breathing apparently. Probably better off with a BMC panel from Alfa Owner I just wasn't able to wait and they were limited in models available when I purchased mine!!

164 Super
AO Member
Knew someone who had a K&N induction kit,informed his insurance they came back with a cheaper quote.

Also a mate of mine crashed his car a few years ago when the insurance assessor arrived he went straight to the boot and started looking at the spare when my mate asked him what he was doing,he replied that if the spare wasn't road worthy they didn't have to payout.
So be careful they will try anything to get out of paying up.

AO Platinum Member
Insurance companies are ******s. They try that stuff all the time. At the end of the day though they have to show they're being reasonable, so if you nudge some old dear's bumper in the carpark, having a duff spare tyre or a different chip or filter can't be used by them to no pay up....

Unless you were using all that extra bhp as you pulled in to the carpark on your way to buying that new spare!

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 31-05-02 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

145 & GT

This thread disappeared from the 145 forum, I'm just adding this message to see if that will cause it to come back....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

air , filter