145 valve variator ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
145 valve variator ?

Hi, I've just come across this site and read a message saying "one of the expensive jobs was the valve variator, it stops it sounding like a deisel", well my 2 litre Cloverleaf sounds like a deisel on start-up and sometimes on the overrun, is it likely to need a new valve variator?

What is a valve variator and is it likely to be expensive? I've just bought it, it's done 72k miles and is booked in for a service on tuesday (new cam belt), is it a waste of time getting the cam belt done and not the valve variator?
Sponsored Links
Founder of AO
County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Hi andy, your cam variator has gone!. Sorry to inform you. Its not expensive to buy the variator so if you are having the belts changed have them check the tensioner too (Very Important)

Good luck

BTW - welcome to Alfaowner!
Thank's for the answer and the welcome, glad to be here.

So the cam variator is the tansioner? I'm not getting it serviced at an Alfa dealer as that works out to be a quarter of the price of the car for a service! A well trusted (and previously used) local mechanic is doing the work. I've already asked him to replace the tentioner as the Alfa dealer said it would need doing when i enquired about the price.

Replacing the tensioner and the cam belt would cure it?

Thanks again. Great site by the way, full of the sort of info I've been searching for all week!
No replacing the belts & tensioner will not cure the problem you need a new variator & as the belts are being changed it will be easy to do it all at once have a look at the post named::: Twin Spark Clatter

(at the bottom of this room)
I've been driving around today to get a variator (i know phoning is easier but driving is more fun!). The part is called an Advance Variator, part number is 60815644 and they cost 64.26 pounds plus VAT and they should have one in stock if it's not been taken for a service car. They say it is an easy job if the cam belt is off so it shouldn't add much to a belt change service.

(I've cross posted to 'Twin Spark Clatter' because someone asked if this problem would cost a lot to fix)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

145 , valve , variator