The Life of Boxer - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 26-12-01 Thread Starter
The Life of Boxer

Anybody have an opinion about the life time of an classic 1.6 boxer engine. Mine is on 100K, I like to be on high revs and the engine is still smooth. So how much you make on your car and which problems you face?

Thank you all [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Basic boxers have few problems especially if they are serviced well and regularly.
AO Member

I drive a 146 boxer, 1.6, 8v and she has been with me for coming to 5 years now.
Recently, I occasionally get the injector light up on the panel for about 10 to 15 secs before going out.

A quick search on a local Alfisti forum said it could be the cause of the idle actuator valve getting dirty. I am trying to locate this fella in the engine bay but have so far failed to do so. I know it looks like a black cigar sitting above the "Alfa Romeo" words embossed on the engine.

Would like help to locate it and instructions to clean the darn thing. I feel one day it'll fail on me on the highway if I dun do something about it.

Is this something that is DIY recommended or the job of the local AR agent?

AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

75 LE

I've clocked up 63K on my 1997 1.6 145
Last of the boxer's so far she's given me no engine troubles,except a small oil leak.I change the oil every 8,000miles.
And where teh engine does go pop I've a 1.7 16v to put in her. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Oh yes and I would'nt be the slowest of drivers either....or so the other half keeps telling me [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
AO Member
Mines running fine now, just under 69k
Bought it in june last year with only 50k on the clock.

So it does quite a few miles between oil changes [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] so i treat it to Fully synthetic [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
jimmy chen
<font face="Book Antiqua">hahaha
nimro, I have the boxer 145 which is 7 years old, i have the same problem....the black thing u mentioned is "stepper motor", i have change one before due to the same problem. but the problem remain, know any good mechanic in Singapore to fix Alfa 145 boxer... [img]smilies/krakrani.gif[/img] [img]smilies/krakrani.gif[/img] [img]smilies/krakrani.gif[/img]
Hi, just bought 146 1.7 boxer which has done 39000km. This is my first alfa and it makes very nice sound. Everyday, I'm taking longest route to & from work and always looking forward for fast driving during the weekend. I can't confirm this without proper equipment, but I think my heart rate is up whenever i start the engine or during driving. Never get this feeling with other cars. Guess this is what you guys mean when you say alfa has character.
AO Member
Hi Jimmy,

Are you by any chance active in the AROC Singapore forum..? If not, you should, cos there's a wealth of info such as good mechanics etc. Till date, I've ignored the injector light problem.

Good mechanics are Sweetaire (look for Sebastian, he drives a 146, or Zainal), or City Motors (Edwin). I just had my steering boot covers replaced.
jimmy chen
ha, thanks nimro, good to know someone from singapore at, and same for advise.

eek! eek!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

boxer , life