new to 145 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 21-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire
new to 145

hi guys, after owning a 155 for a year I am looking too sell up and get a 145 and race it. Are there anythingthing in particular I should watch out for, or is it same sort of problems as a 155. It'll be a 2.0 TS,

Sponsored Links
Re: new to 145

Same engine problems, same wishbone problems, same electrical problems....................................
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 21-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

lol. . . I guess it wouldn't be an Alfa without them
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands

the only thing I can think of where there may be a significant difference is the engine. There are the two versions, alloy topped like your 155 and the plastic topped like a 156. I would guess, and it easier to tune etc as it does not rely so much on fancy electronics eg no fly by wire throttle etc but a proper cable connected to the flap. The alloy if leaving standard (bar induction and exhaust) is a sweeter engine, more low down grunt despite it being down by 5hp, a sweeter engine alround. The down se is that all those engines will be older than the plastic topped ones so may be harder to get a good one. The other thing is 145s are now getting pretty rare.

AJ from has starting to prep their 145 for the track

145 On A Weight Saving Diet - Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

I know a guy who has a 145 Cloverleaf track car stripped out with a welded in cage. Taxed and tested too. It's up for sale. I can PM his details if it's of interest.
AO Member
County: -

The 155 and 145 are basically the same car, same engines, same wheelbase, same transmission (although shorter gear ratio in the 145 2.0L compared to the 155), same suspension setup and same steering rack etc.

Agree with Purple145's post above that the older alloy topped engines are better for your purpose.
However its actually the ECU that makes the difference - the engines are completely identical in every way except for the cam cover (which has no affect on performance).

On the plastic topped engines there is some sort of variable venturi system in the intake manifold but tbh it adds complexity for no extra grunt imo.

The earlier alloy topped engines use two types of ECU, Bosch 2.10.3 and Bosch 2.10.4
The 2.10.3 is identifiable by having an EGR valve fed from cylinder 4 exhaust port and this is the guttsier of the two. Variator control is better on the 2.10.3 and generally kicks in higher than on the later 2.10.4 system. This is what I'd recommend although you are limiting yourself to an early 1996 motor.......

Way I look at it , the earlier the ECU the less trimmed down it is for emissions purposes, with one exception - there are some 155bhp motors going around, but these were cut back to 150bhp again for emissions. I dont know the exact ECU version of the 155bhp version but this could also be an option.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146