Question on Alfa alarm disable/removal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 12-01-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 146 1.8TS

Question on Alfa alarm disable/removal

OK, had another thread where I explained that my Alfa alarm system went belly up on me.

After some debate, trawling more Alfa sites than I knew existed, and some soul searching as to whether or not to keep my baby, I decided the most desirable option would be to get a complete new remote alarm system fitted.

Now for my question, having phoned a number of alarm fitters, they give me two scenarios and I dont know which is accurate.

1/ One group have told me they can disable/remove the Alfa fitted alarm system and fit a new Cat 1 system for 249 all in.

2/ One group have told me they cant touch the Alfa system because the ECU would shut down and disable the car, so they cant even begin to install a new system and I MUST go to an Alfa dealer to get the system sorted.

Any help as to which is true? I would prefer to get the Cat 1 system fitted but not if the Alfa system is going to stay armed as it currently is. And considering nearest Alfa dealer is 90mins drive away from me its not a real option to go for a diagnostic either. And speaking to the Alfa dealer all he would say is "Bring it in and we will take a look at it".

Car is 1998 Alfa 146 1.8TS

Oh Lord, wont you buy me a Mercedes Benz........nah give me a GTV anytime!
Sponsored Links
Re: Question on Alfa alarm disable/removal

Option 1 seems the more accurate as I don't think the alarm/imob is even related to the ECU, no doubt I will be corrected if wrong but I say this as a friend of mine has a 145 boxer with a Toad alarm/imob fitted.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

alarm , alfa , disable or removal , question