145 wont start. Injector light flashing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 23-08-16 Thread Starter

County: -
145 wont start. Injector light flashing

Hi all.
Can somebody please help me.

I have the alfa 145 2001 2litre twin spark. About 4 months ago the car overheated and you all know what that means......

So i overalled my cylinder top. New pumps ( fuel and water ) and just a little service. After all of that , the car wont start. She turns over but no spark. And the injector light and heat warning light by the heat gauge is flashing. And sounds like a clicking soung comming from the relays in front by the battery.

Recharged the battery. Cleaned all the relays, checked the fuel cut off switch and everything i can think of. And stil nothing.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Is the engine turning over?

If it is, then either it hasn't got fuel at the pointy end.. or it hasn't got sparks. Or both.

If the engine is NOT turning over and the battery is definitely okay, then check the relay (and its wiring) for the starter motor. It sounds like it's not giving the starter the message. I'm not sure if it's on the bulkhead or in the BBoB (attached to the battery case) but it's probably been disturbed, if you've changed the head gasket.

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 26-08-16 Thread Starter

The car is turning over but not starting. Do you maybe know whats wrong .... i really don't know where to go from here
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
It may be worth checking the crank sensor.

You can usually get an idea if they are ok by measuring the resistance between the pins. If it is much over 1000 ohms then it is in need of replacement. The heat cycles of the engine cause the wirking inside them to break down gradually over time

If it has failed the engine won't spark or inject fuel.

I had one fail on my last 145QV. The car often wouldn't start, but was ok once running. I measured the sensor and it gave a reading of about 10K Ohm.

if the resistance readings are ok, it would be worth removing it and giving it a clean. The end is magnetic and particles of metal tend to get stuck to them and mess up the signal.

You will never be cool driving a Vauxhall, especially if it catches fire.
AO Silver Member

County: Skåne
If crank sensor is OK is the timing of the engine right and not 180 deg. off where it should be? ECU earth fitted?
(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 28-08-16 Thread Starter

I had a mechanic work on the car he did everything. When it comes to working on engines I'm not one to talk. He double checked the timing. But its also the first alfa he has ever worked on. So I'm not sure if its fine. Any ideas how to check?
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
To check thre timing you need a set of camshaft locking tool.

Remove the cam cover, rotate the engine so that cylinder 1 is at TDC on the compression stroke and the locks should fit if the timing is correct. You will need to remove a couple of the cam bearing caps to fit them.

Unfortunately most non-Alfa experirneced mechanics try to change the belt using a similar tip-ex method to that used on a Ford CVH, and the timing will end up incorrect.
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 28-08-16 Thread Starter

Ok ill let someone have a look at that thanks
(Post Link) post #9 of 10 Old 08-09-16 Thread Starter

Ok i had an auto electrician check the car out. Now the injector light stays on. No more noises coming from the relays and she still turns over. But still not starting.... fuell pump is working on and off ... so any ideas?
QV2
AO Member

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned running ECU diagnostics on the car. I would do this before trial and error of anything else as it will save any guessing games. If the injector light is coming on it will be putting out some OBD fault codes. Those codes can only be viewed with some diagnostics software. Get yourself some cables off eBay and download the free version of Multiecuscan. Everything you need to know is in the following thread link...

Alfa 145 Forum - ECU Diagnostics (DIY)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

Tags
145 , flashing , injector , light , start