Strut brace and insurance - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Commercial Lounges > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 17-07-07
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

911c4 ex 350z, GTVv6, 156

Strut brace and insurance

I'm getting a strut brace for my GTV soon. Does this count as a modification which I would need to notify my insurer about?

If it does, does anyone know how they assess this? Personally I would not expect it to affect my premium as:

a) it does not materially affect the price of the car and therefore the insured value
b) it would not make the car any more likely to be involved in an accident (arguably the opposite as it would improve the handling).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-07
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa

Re: Strut brace and insurance

Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I'm getting a strut brace for my GTV soon. Does this count as a modification which I would need to notify my insurer about?

If it does, does anyone know how they assess this? Personally I would not expect it to affect my premium as:

a) it does not materially affect the price of the car and therefore the insured value
b) it would not make the car any more likely to be involved in an accident (arguably the opposite as it would improve the handling).

Thanks
Hello,
Yes you should disclose this as a modifications. Also most of the schemes wouldn't increase the price of your policy just because of this being added.
hope this has helped,
Dan.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-07
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

156 GTA

Yup definitely disclose. It entailed no additonal charge for me along with rear ARB upgrade , but my car was already modified with an associated premium increase.

TB
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-07
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

911c4 ex 350z, GTVv6, 156

Thanks guys
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 19-07-07
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Member car:

V6 Spider and MiTo

What it does tell them is that you probably drive "enthusiastically".
Always disclose.

Paul.
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 19-07-07
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 33, GTV 2.0, MG 1500

Yes, its better to disclose and be covered than not disclosed and not be covered
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 19-07-07
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT V6

Fully agree - honesty is the best policy, particularly when not to disclose could cost you your car or worse.

Interesting story though - I'd disclosed all my mods to my insurer, initially back in September last year, then again a month ago when the renewal came through and only the exhaust was listed. The day on which I received their confirmation letter in response to mine, I had a prang on the way home from work

Yesterday, I had a call from Direct Line claims department telling me that their enginner had pointed out I had a non-standard front bumper, and did I know, because I hadn't told them and it would affect my claim. Yes I did know, I said, and so did they and after a bit of digging they found my letter and said everything was ok. Phew!

Funny thing was though, the only mod the engineer caught (out of the Novitec front-end, Autodelta coilovers, drilled front discs, Angel re-map) was the bumper. Despite my advice above, half of me wished I hadn't mentioned the others because the combined effect has been to raise my premium by some £30 per month........

#8 (Post Link)  
Old 19-07-07
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 33, GTV 2.0, MG 1500

£30 a month seems a bit steep
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 19-07-07
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT V6

It's a long story - I have a bit of a stain on my driving record (big mistake back in 2000, of which I'm not proud) so I've been paying anything from £2000/year (2002, Spider V6) to my current £1200 on the GT. I've learned my lesson.

In that context, the extra premium is more understandable - and the main factor affecting it is the exhaust and re-map (the latter being classified as 'chip', which sets bells ringing at insurers), which are accountable for 'a 10% increase in power' in Direct Line speak.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Commercial Lounges > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
brace, insurance, strut

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
alfa romeo gtv...
Alfa Romeo 147, 5...
2013 Alfa Romeo...
Alfa Romeo 156...
2011 (11 Reg) Alfa...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Project Halo Uk -...

View JabawokJayUK's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Within your User Control Panel, you can change the way AO works:
For example, to change the number of posts per page, go to Edit Options and scroll down to 'Thread Display Options'. In the section 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page' select a desired amount.

New To Site? Need Help?