Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Is my TURBO Dead....?

790 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  hdseven 
#1 ·
Hello people...

Alfa 2.4 jtd 20v 54 plate car....

I have a small issue where the car judders slightly when driving the car on a steady throttle.
When I accelerate away and the turbo is under boost, it works fine, doesn't pull like a train, but it pulls.

I then change gear and you hear the waste gate dump the pressure ready to boost again.

Once speed is reached (approx 40mph) and I am generally driving the car, it sounds as if the wast gate is opening and closing on the turbo...

the car jolts a little and gains / looses power. Giving it a little throttle puts the turbo back into boost and the issue goes away.

Has anyone ever had this issue?

Will I need a new turbo, or is there a hose somewhere I need to replace...?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been having the exact same problem on my Mito 1.6 JTDm 2009 as well.

Apparently it's a Turbo Surge what we are experiencing and can be caused by a faulty solenoid in the EGR. I know i read this somewhere the last time i googled it but I can't find the source again. I'll be creating a new thread of my own in the mito sub forum and hope to get a reply. In the meanwhile, clean out the EGR and the DPF ! see if there isn't any oil leaking into the system. Disconnect the MAF sensor as well if all this fails.
See if you have any improvement ?

Best of Luck and do let me know if you do find a solution for this.

Cheers !

#3 ·
you dont have a wastegate and at that age of car you dont have a dpf either

first thing to check is the boost hoses.......the fat ones......check the one from turbo to airbox and then the one from intercooler in inner wing to the inlet manifold....that one likes to split over the battery
if you hearing a noise like you say its more than likely that its pressure escaping

do you get MCSF lights on dash?
have you had codes read? if not it may be worth investing £15 in a obd2 reader

as said worth checking and cleaning the egr....but thats more of a bogging down issue

if ur thinking the turbo may have probs the really the only thing that could be would be sticking vanes inside as its a vnt turbo, or solenoid problem......but its sertainly not dead :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.