Alfa Romeo Forum banner

selespeed in a 147

764 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cowcock1962 
#1 ·
hello fellow alfa owners....I wonder if someone can help me with what could be a problem...not sure if it is a problem....where the gear oil goes in it always looks empty....when I top it up the next day there was oil on the concrete floor......any help will be greatly appreciated....CHEERS JOHN

#6 ·
So you've put gearbox oil in the selespeed hydraulic fluid reservoir - on the left side of the engine bay? That's not good. I guess you need to try and drain and flush as much as you can and get it filled with Tutela CS speed. The system takes about 600ml, so at $50 or so for a litre it's not really a huge investment. A lot cheaper than a new sele actuator.

#7 ·
Selespeed fluid is a high spec ATF, which itself is often rated as a 75W GL4 gear oil, so although far from ideal, may not be a total disaster!

But drain it all out and put the right stuff in, flush it through a few times too.

As for the tank looking empty, the plate you can see is not the bottom of the tank, it is a baffle plate about half way up. As long as fluid is visible above that plate straight after the pump has run, it will be ok.

I used to use Redline D4 ATF:
D4 ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.