Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Swapping out the stereo head unit...

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Darranna 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if I want to do this yet, but I really miss the satnav that I've got on my other car. The original (Bose?) stereo in the Spider is everything I want, but it is a double DIN unit. And I've been wondering about substituting an aftermarket unit with built-in satnav.

Trouble is, I haven't yet seen one that doesn't look horribly out of place in the car. And also - does it lower the value of the car, not being OEM?

And as smartphones get better, maybe satnav units are on the way out anyway. Who wants to chime in with an opinion?

#3 ·
I've got the Kenwood DNX7260BT installed in the Brera and although it protrudes slightly from the dash I don't think that it looks too out of place (obviously it's dependant on opinion) it has the built in Garmin satnav and has the usual bluetooth capabilities and allows me to still use the steering wheel controls (apart from the voice button on the steering wheel)

#5 ·
I just got a used Pioneer AVIC unit installed. The trim is a quite a bit shinier than the standard trim, but I don't think it looks out of place (much) at all. Worth it for the functionality (sat nav, phone, iPod, DVD...)

#6 · (Edited)
I've got the avic f30bt think it looks pretty good, the answer to the last bit, no it won't devalue the car, probably increase it ( but not by a huge amount), modern buyers all want a sat nav, and this will make your car stand out when selling.
pioneer do a double din unit that you can plug your phone into ( or by bluetooth), you can then run most apps on the phone through the headunit, so you will physically see the app on the head unit. Look ford 'appradio'

Check out the 'ice and blue&me' section, a few discussions going on there

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Totstv
#8 ·
or just use googles image search then 'Alfa 159' then the brand or model ie. AVIC, loads of pics

#13 ·
I got a Kenwood double din as well. Customisable colours, great Garmin sat nav, you can add custom backdrops so has the Alfa logo behind the touch screen controls, Bluetooth, integrated steering wheel controls. 100 times better than a crapy smart phone on a cradle (I have an iphone 5 ). About seven hundred all in five years ago. Theyll be better sat navs now.

#14 ·
Yeh, think all the major units do it well, you can pick up a second hand avic 930bt for around the £400 mark, and there are ways of upgrading the software/ maps

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#15 ·
I've got a pioneer da110 in my 159, it's looks great as it's a flush fit with the centre console and the apps work great for satnav/dashcommand/music, if you don't want to plug your phone in it streams music via Bluetooth and has handsfree and it works with the steering wheel controls. The whole thing cost about £400 with all of the leads and cage etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.