Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Disconcerting bang when engine stalls

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Egon 
#1 ·
It has taken a while to get used to the 1.9 TD engine after smooth and flexible V6 petrol engines in Mazdas.

One thing I have found a bit worrying is the occasional stall when pulling off or reversing, accompanied by a loud bang. It sounds really quite dramatic, although the car restarts without problem and seems none the worse for the experience.

Is this normal? What causes such a loud and solid clunk? The first couple of times, I thought it might have something to do with the hill holder but it has happened on the flat and long after the brakes have been released. Unwary passengers can find it quite scary.

Is it perhaps just a diesel thing?

#3 ·
I have had diesels for years but the 159 is the noisiest when you stall it.

When I first experienced this "bang' I got out of the car expecting large bits of the car to be all over the road.

Its a good way of reminding you to try and not stall the car.:lol:

#4 ·
Thanks for the reassuring comments. Learn something every day.

I also have an old LDV van with a 2.4 turbo diesel engine and can't remember it ever having stalled - if it has, it certainly hasn't made a bang. Admittedly, it doesn't go quite so well at the other end of the scale....

#7 ·
It happened a few times before I fixed the link rod on the swirl flaps. Only once since then as the car is much smoother at low revs now - I was just caught out the other day when reversing over a kerb and hadn't given it quite enough welly. It felt as though I had slammed into an iron bollard. The accompanying urgent beep from the electronics adds to the drama. "What the f***!"

Things are a bit more sedate in the LDV....

#8 ·
I nearly stalled the other day and just managed to catch it as was trying to pull out of a junction in 2nd gear. Unfortunately i caught it at the point it goes bang and then continued to turn over but with continual bangs!!! I actually soiled my pants there and then as thought my engine had had it and was consuming its own oil. Luckily the engine died when i pulled the key!! Started again with no issues and drove ok.
My 2.0 jtdm has no dpf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.