Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Alfa 156 - Airbag ECU - Replacement Required?

Tags
airbag
4K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  drummerian 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Finally got my multiecuscan working to read my airbag codes. First some background:

MOT failure meant I had to do a quick bit of welding to the passenger side sill. I moved all the wiring harness out of the way and welded with the battery disconnected. MOT pass, winner.

I have now noticed my airbag light is on, so I connected up with multiecuscan to find the following:
01 - control unit fault
'The ECU indicates a defect in the internal components. Verify that the ECU receives interference free power and has a solid ground connection. Clear the code, test drive the vehicle and ensure that the code does not reappear
The reason for this fault is Unknown / Internal error
The current status of the fault is Present
The error counter value is 139'

IT is now dark outside so I haven't checked the wiring that I moved, I imagine this wiring does carry some airbag bits given the location of the airbag ecu?.

Does this sound like a new ECU is needed (did I perhaps mess it up via welding?)

Any help much appreciated!
Thanks
Ian

See less See more
#2 ·
All airbag wiring is yellow sheathed. As per the multiecuscan advice - check the wiring connections and earth, clear the codes and see if it works. If you do need a replacement ECU - post up the part number off your existing ECU and I'll advise if I have one or any alternative numbers that you can look for.....

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice!

I pulled the ECU away from its mounts and ran the code check again, Grounding issue (as expected really) flagged on MultiEcuScan. Can't visually see any problems with the cabling so I am worried that the ECU is infact damaged, yet I still can get comms with it.

Numbers on my ECU:
04-305536-3

Any advice much appreciated!

#5 ·
I can't help you with codes but had a similar problem on a 156 1.9 jtd 115 hp from 2003. I had the airbag light on for 4 years as in B MOT can not use that to give you a non valid MOT (somebody really upset brought them to court explaining that many cars dis not have airbags at all...)
Garage said airbag ECU fried, I had already welded the wires below the seats to be sure no false contact exists and checked the connections in the boot. Needed replacement, around 495 euro.
Finally found a second hand one on ebay for 70 euro with the same references
60680213, 5WK43278, 04-321468NAT, C404
and replaced it. Problem solved.
Hope it helps, Carlos

#9 ·
RGWM managed to source me a replacement ECU at a great price...highly recommend!

Installed the ECU and connected the battery, used FiatECUScan to reset the codes. Problem is that the 01 code is still there! The ECU has a good ground connection but I am not sure what else to test (obviously very wary of setting of airbags accidentally!).

What else can I test safely to try and solve the problem!

Thanks all

#12 ·
ECU was Ok in car it was removed from, but I've advised Ian that I have an example of the ECU which superceded his - 60658009 - to try as a further replacement. Does anyone think this is worthwhile, or is it likely that he has a wiring issue somewhere?

#15 ·
I had a broken 60658009, replaced it with one from Autolusso (top shop !) and could clear the fault, so I think your ACU's are both broken...and ALWAYS use the same part number !

#17 ·
Check the pins on the ACU, they are very delicate and easily bent...

p.s. If the package somehow fell during shipment the ACU can be damaged, they are one time use only

#19 ·
Sorry to bring up such an old topic, it's taken me a while to get around to doing more work on the alfa.

Basically I have check all the connections to the ACU i can get to. No bent pins, and the power and ground lines are good, as is the ACU case ground. The ACU also correctly diagnoses all the connectors I can unplug individually (passenger detection, airbag on/off switch, both pretensioners), I couldn't get to the connectors for the actual airbags.

From this it would seem the airbag system appears OK? Perhaps I have in fact been unlucky and received a second busted ECU?

Any advice much appreciated. It does seem odd that the fault counter doesn't increment, does anyone have any further information about this failure code?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.