Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Fiat Punto Grande as a reasonable alternative to a 147?

6K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  alfetta2000 
#1 ·
Ever since my 147 got stolen before Christmas, I've been looking for a used 1.6 or 2.0 Lusso 147 in the £4k to £5k range.

However, one thing that caught my eye recently was a leasing / contract hire deal where you can get a 1.2 Punto Grande for 3 years at £120 inc VAT per month.

Over 3 years, I reckon a 2002 147 would cost me about £1000-£1300 per year in depreciation, servicing, replacement parts, cambelts, trailing arms etc etc which would equal about £3000 - £4000. This compares to about £4,500 over 3 years for brand new Punto Grande. Insurance would also be cheaper.

I love the 147, but I'm just wondering whether as Punto Grande would be a reasonable alternative? Obviously the 147 is the better car but wouldn't the Punto Grande have at least some of the flair and DNA of the Alfa and be less of a servicing burden?

Any views?

#6 ·
Well I have driven a Punto Grande 1.4 with 'selespeed' and compared to a 147 it is absolutely crap.
Admitedly I have a 2002 lfa 147 2.0 TS but the Punto was like a tin can on wheels with diabolically poor performance. Almost got shunted here in Australia leaving the lights until I started flooring it insteaded of driving it....

Steering wheel was as nearly as rough as sand paper on the FIAT I drove...

I think if you are at all interested in the Punto Grande you will have to drive it yourself as asking others to compare and tell you if you will like one will not work in this case as the cars are in totally different clases.

#7 ·
have driven a (JTD) demonstrator when i was buying my 147 as the dealer was tryin to shift one at a very good price but there was no comparison imo, looks refinement and performance all went to the 147 hands down, alright itll depreciate more but so what, its far better fun jumpin into a car you love for a few quid more rather than settling for the sake of a few £ imo

#8 ·
I also drove a 1.4 Punto Grande when my wife's 147 2.0 was in for service.

I can't recall driving such a sluggish car in years. My daughter's P reg 1.1 Punto 55S feels quite nippy and has a sweet little engine. The Punto Grande just felt almost dangerously slow.

I guess the 1.9JTD would be a different drive.

It looks quite nice on the outside but no mini Alfa on the inside whereas the new Bravo looks a step in the right direction styling wise, inside & out.

G
#12 ·
The new Seat Leon (pauses to spit...) is a good looking car. The overall shape is a copy of a 147 and it even has the hidden rear door handles on the 5-door :eek: :lol: . The mechanicals are VAG I think. I saw a few in Spain recently, they look pretty cool. They seem to be going the opposite way to Alfa who are getting all Germanic. I have to say, I saw a couple of 159's there too and I still don't like them :( Auto Émocion and all that...:rolleyes:
http://www.seat.co.uk/generator/su/uk/newLeon/site/main.html

#14 ·
Avoid the petrol Grande Puntos as even the 16v 1.4 isn't that quick. The 1.9 JTD Sporting is a good laugh though with a good spec, including Blue & Me. My wife has one and I get to drive it now and again.

I think Fiat are advertising a low interest finance deal for the Grande at the moment.

#15 ·
I bought a 1.4 grande punto for the wife it was 10 months old with 3500 miles on the clock. Saved almost 3 grand on it it has air con....la...la...la etc...lol
I agree not fast but it's a fun drive for a change and CHEAP to insure.
She is happy (well worth the money...lol)
and I get no moans about MY ...lol..3L 166
Oh and we are used to having failry quick cars Lancia Dedra turbo, Thema turbo etc...lol

#16 ·
Me too, the Wife's got the 1.4 sport, & it's nippy enough, Best bet is to go have spin in each
Here's a pic of the wifes

G
#17 ·
I ve got the 1.2 oil burner and fast it ain't. However I needed something cheap to insure, easy on the juice that would happliy sit at 80/90 on the motorway. It's roomy comfortable and gets almost 600 miles out of a full tank.

The 147 2.0 ts is light years ahead of it as is the 1.6 I've driven both.

I've not driven the 95hp or the 1.9 Punto and while the Punto is a practical car it doesn't stir my passions.

Treat your self if you are only having one car hold out for the Alfa :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.