Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1.9 jtdm all the power has gone... :(

904 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  phwspider 
#1 ·
Oh dear. Seems the 159 has dishonoured itself. :(

Shot over to sainsburys (other supermarkets are available) got some bits and jumped back in the car, started and tickover felt lumpy.
Pulled away and stalled it. Odd thinks me. Tried again. No power at all. Felt terrible. Took a lot of effort to get it home, then just up the road the EML came on.
Just read the codes and got a P0237 boost sensor "A" circuit low.
Is this the map sensor? I just took it off and it was a but grubby, so used some ipa to clean it. Test drive showed no improvement.
Do i need a new one or look for something more sinister?

#4 ·
Blank the EGR, fit a Fixitsan dongle (you can Google this or search on Ebay) and never look back. Even better if you drill the dreaded DPF. More pull, smoother power delivery, easier to pull away, better economy and no more DPF EML issues. Result!

#5 ·
Well, just plugged in ecuscan and had a nose. Cleared the fault and then set about the blob of sludge that used to be the map sensor. :)
Nice and clean but reading a bit high, still drove like utter poo.
So checked the egr valve and restrictor plate just in case. Dropped it in the ultrasonic cleaner and a load of white spirits for an hour. Put it all back together and then cleaned the maf (odd that it has a map AND a maf?) and all is well again!
I've ordered a new map sensor for my own piece of mind. :)
Back to normal!!!

#7 ·
I've been reading "street turbocharging" with a view to playing silly buggers with the 147 and I'd just got to the sensor section (oh the irony!!) and it was talking about mafs and maps.
I suppose the maf is on the cold side and the map is on the hot side of the turbo.
So that would make sense of what you're saying., moel. :)

#9 ·
Oh no maf = mass air flow sensor , tells the ECU how much air is coming in.

The correct name for map is tmap = temperature manifold air pressure, does dual tells temperatures and manifold air pressure? When you clean it there is a little brass coloured probe inside the basket that is the temp sensor be gently with it.

#11 ·
Yep that's the kiddy.
How the maf works is there is a thin electric wire like fuse wire, its heated to a certain temperature as air passes over it that cools it down then electric heats it up to said temperature the amount of electrical energy needed is monitored by the ECU and that works out how much air is going into the engine.
Obviously over time it will get a bit dirty but simple maintenance like air filter changing willnprolong it's life.
It can be cleaned by use the correct spray a non resedule is need but don't, touch it with a cotton bud or like that knackers it as I found out at my cost. Not 100% sure how to check it. Others on here will know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.