Alfa Romeo Forum banner

MAF replacement?

10K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  pubsinger 
#1 ·
Just nipped out and when up popped MCSF message. :cry:

Car wouldn't accelerate much and generally turned into a milk float as it's lost all pace that it used to have.

Limped home and read the codes.
P0236 - Turbo/super boost sensor A CKT range/performance
P0238 - Turbo/super boost sensor A Circuit high input
P0101 - MAF or VAF A circuit range/performance

Am I right in thinking that my MAF needs replacing?

Anywhere cheaper than Euro Car Parts as they coming in at £232!!! :wow:

#3 ·
Try here.

If you disconnect the MAF the ECU will assume a default value, if it runs better disconnected it's the MAF, if there's no change or worse it's something else.

Good luck

Pub

#7 ·
That won't fit my GT. I'd need one with the holes for the screws.

#4 ·
I've disconnected the MAF (what a pain in the ar$e that is to do! especially when you have hands the size of mine! the battery has to come out!).

And it runs fine now.

So how do I know if it's the MAF or the sensor. I'm guessing the MAF as I've just replaced the intake flexi which was split and covered in oil, which I would assume the would cover the MAF as well?

#6 ·
You could just try cleaning it, but whatever you do don't touch the sensing wire. take a look at the link. (its a 147 twinspark but principle is the same)

Cleaning Mass Air Flow SensorÂ*|Â*devonbuy.com
From reading that, I'm guessing mine has loads of oil in it. It may well be beyond cleaning.
Think I'll have to order a new one. Just need to find a cheap one!

#8 ·
I have had the same problem come up last week. Ordered new MAF brand BOSCH. Hunted everywhere cheapest place is ebay. Proper company CES, using ebay to sell parts. I had to get to MAF to get codes, for my one 2006 GT Jtdm - its 0281002792, the picture does not match it, however I rung up and they explained its a generic picture. The price is £132.48 all in and delivery. Thought about other ebay brands at £50 giving 12 month warranty.

#11 ·
Definitely worth trying to give it a clean. Be VERY careful what you use though, don't use anything that leaves a residue. I would only recommend this stuff:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AF-Internat...=1397502756&sr=1-2&keywords=isopropyl+alcohol

As previously stated, don't touch the sensor wire. Give the MAF a good dousing and let it dry.
If that doesn't work, try a Vauxhall dealer, I'm pretty sure they use the same Bosch MAF's and they'll almost certainly be cheaper.

#13 ·
Airmass sensor solution

Clean the sensor with brake cleaner spray, give it a good blast, allow to dry for a few seconds and replace, DO NOT TOUCH WIRE WITH HANDS ETC. The brake cleaner will remove any deposits and burnt on deposits from the Airmass Meter Wire, It's something i do once every 6 months on my Alfa as as it has an induction kit and the oil on the filter can get on the sensor!

#15 ·
I just do it as a matter of course, i use a proper Air Mass Cleaner, which i got online as couldn't find a shop that sold it, but as a quick fix, Brake Cleaner as it leaves no residue and most budding mechanics have a can lying around! The brake cleaner can perish the sealing rubber if used on a regular basis as well. But as a one off treatment, better than £££££££ on a new MAF

#23 ·
You beauty! :D

#24 ·
There's a new one on eBay for £25!!!

Edit. It's not a Bosch one.

#28 ·
£80 vs £125. Not that much of a bargain! :p

#29 ·
Just been delivered! Will fit it Saturday.

I have noticed a bit of a drop in fuel consumption since the MAF has been unplugged.
That should be cures once the new one is fitted though.

#30 ·
Now fitted. Codes reset. No more warning lights on the dash! :D

#34 ·
One (at the most two) Haynes spanner(s) :) It's under the fuse/relay box mounted to the front of the battery, battery and battery tray has to come out to allow the fuse/relay box to be moved out of the way. Usual word of warning regarding radio codes.

The MAF is held by 2 bolts into the side of the airbox, one of which is awkward to get at, I used one of those flexi extensions that come with small socket sets.

The other side of the MAF is just a hose held with a jubilee clip that goes off to the turbo inlet. Can't remember whether the clip is reusable, might be worth taking your new MAF to any motor spares place and buying a clip to suit before you start.

Bit fiddly but easily doable for anyone prepared to have a go.

Good luck

Pub

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.