Alfa Romeo Forum banner

159 2.2 exhaust

11K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  mr italy 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Having spent many hours scouring the internet for an exhaust for my car, ive come to the conclusion that an aftermarket centre pipe and back box are probably what im after. The only manufacturer i can find that does both of these is ragazzon, and they don't seem to be stupidly priced. Anyone got any experience with these systems? Too loud or droney would suck, so any advice welcome :)

#13 ·
Does anyone have a ballpark figure for the Alfatune system?

#7 ·
I had a power flow stainless custom made system, really good quality etc and would have outlasted the car easily. Trouble was, boomy wasn't the word and it didn't suit the character of the car at all. The stock rear silencers do all the sound deadening which explains the size of them, so if the replacement has smaller round cherry bombs, be suspicious!
I also remember the car sounded good and not too loud outside, but got much louder and boomy when you got in.
Note that the stock Center silencer does very little for noise reduction as it's a small straight through box.

#9 ·
But it doesn't sound great. Certainly not a cultured rasp like the old twin-sparks used to make.
Have been looking myself and thought Ragazzon was the way forward, but having read this thread it would suggest not.
I don't think I could justify the expense of a bespoke system on top of all the other costs associated with running these cars.

#15 ·
Any idea where I get one from & cost? Nothing listed at K&N, just a standard filter.

#16 ·
I think I have a 2.2 JTS backbox in my garage somewhere. You can buy that off me and then just go to a local exhaust place (Mr Tyre do good ones near me) and get them to do you a longlife centre section. Drop me a PM if you want it and I will have a look later this week.

#19 ·
Reading other threads it seems an Alfatune remap & exhaust is the way forward for performance, drivability and sound.
I'm not prepared to spend all that money though.

If ''The induction kit without a remap is totally useless and sometimes dangerous for the engine at high rpms'' then I'll probably leave mine as it is.

I was just wanting something that would make my car sound half decent for minimal outlay.

#23 ·
Lussoman,
I used a pipercross venom semi enclosed washable filter on mine for about a year. The standard set up is quite good and flows enough air, so there are no performance gains, just the induction roar. No risk of engine damage. Installation is tricky and best done with the front bumper removed due to the position of one of the bolts that retain the standard air box.
The ducting from the front grille is retained as it conveniently feeds some air towards the cone filter once in place.
I have put the standard one back in place now as I plan to sell. Engine sounds like a hair dryer again. Pipercross kit with all of the ducting and adapters is for sale, pm me if you interested, otherwise good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.