Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Which 155?

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Eyes Only 
#1 ·
Hi guys, this is a little premature as I haven't yet sold my Mazda RX7, but can't make up my mind which 155 to look for when I do! I know they are pretty thin on the ground, so I should probably not worry too much, and just buy a decent one. Can't make up my mind whether to aim for a T-spark (8v or 16v) or to go for a V6.

Want to strip it out to use on track days, so maybe a 4 cylinder car would be better (i.e. a bit easier to work on).

I also fancy getting a spare engine to fiddle with, and I guess the 4cyl cars are more common. I have read that 8valvers tend to have a narrow power band really near to the rev limiter, but they also have a cam chain (maybe safer). V6 engines sound glorious (watched the vids on 8200rpm.com), but must be a bit heavier, rarer and more expensive generally.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

Ant. :)

#2 ·
ant480 said:
I have read that 8valvers tend to have a narrow power band really near to the rev limiter, but they also have a cam chain (maybe safer). V6 engines sound glorious (watched the vids on 8200rpm.com), but must be a bit heavier, rarer and more expensive generally.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

Ant. :)
Depends on the 8 valve, the 1.8 is a lot peakier than the 2L, which I find has plenty of guts from about 2500 upto 6000 revs. I think the 1.8 goes to nearer 7000 but there is very little below 4,500. The Variator is also a better design on the 8v over the 16v and the engine weighs less than the cast iron 16v, but you don't get the wider fron track of the later models.

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I was kinda erring towards an 8 valve. I guess a bit of tuning would release more power and torque. Or I could just worry about making it light as that is pretty much free! :D

A friend has just had his X19 with electronic ignition set up on a rolling road - he has been tinkering with it at home and not really spending loads (ebay provided a performance cam, I think), and power is now just over 130bhp (compared to 85ish as standard) from 1500cc!

I wanted to do something similar - play about with a second engine and do a before and after rolling road test. Really love Italian cars and didn't want to copy him by getting an X19, so what better than the 155 (gorgeous shape).

Another quick question - is the Silverstone any different to a standard 1.8 8valve in terms of engine performance or drivetrain?

Ant

G
#6 ·
A Q4 track car would be fun. You get a Turbo and 4WD to play with making 170bhp. They are incredibly rare and more expensive than the run of the mill 155's (if there is such a thing), however you do get the extra power and torque in the V6 but wihout the extra weight. I recon if Turb technics or someone similar hybridised the Garret T3. With green injectors and a remap you could make 210bhp which isn't that far away from what the BTCC cars were making way back in the mid-ninties.

Oh god now I've sold the idea to myself. Any idea how you block Ebay on AOL perental contols? :cheese:

#9 ·
cossiekiller said:
Sorry I sit corrected. Its logical though being a Lancia metal masterpiece. It also means I have unlocked Ebay and am currently on the look out. Thanks Jack You have just ruined my bank account.
Iv got a broken Q4 sitting out front waiting to ruin my bank account - once iv fixed its engine up, its up for sale - will put you on the "interested" list if you want ;) ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.