Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Rear driver-side door won't open from the inside

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  mattyc147 
#1 ·
Hey guys (and girls),

I have one irritating problem with my newly acquired Alfa 147 5d:

The rear door on the driver-side won't open from the inside, from the outside everything is normal. I've checked the child-lock, but this is not the solution to the problem. The handle does feel normal (exactly like the other rear door), but the door just doesn't open from the inside.

Since I am not very handy, is there an easy way to determine if the handle itself is broken? If I remove the rear door panel (is this something I could mess up??), there must be some sort of ' connection' between the handle and the lock, which in my opinion might have come loose, could I be right? Does anyone have a guide (with pictures, I have 'two left hands' :cry: ) which shows the inside of the door, behind the pannelling?

Thanks for your time!

PS: I've tried the search-option, but all I could find was threads concerning the outside door handle.....

#2 ·
Child lock?

If you open the door and look around the catch mechanism area on the rear edge you'll see a small white disc with what looks like a flathead screwdriver slot in it. Your ignition key will fit this perfectly.

Try turning it one way or the other (sorry, I've never used this on mine so I don't know which way it is) and shut the door and try again.

Hopefully it'll just be something this easy to fix.

#3 ·
Pullie147, definitely child lock ;). At least if you have a 5 door.

If it's a 3 door 147, then I suggest you have a talk with G ;)

#5 ·
Hoygaard said:
I'm with M.Bonkers, prolly the child lock. Otherwise, check with g (aka Scudetto) he will guide you towards the door in the floor ;)
Hoygs, great to "see" you again! It's a long time ago. Hope everything is ok!

G
#6 ·
Pullie147 said:
I've checked the child-lock, but this is not the solution to the problem.
Err, guys...... ;)

If you're SURE it's not the child lock then it could be that the wire or linkage has come off the inner handle. Have to admit, it's not very likely and my guess would be the child lock :lol:

If you're removing the door card look out for hidden bolts, when they're all out it'll probably pull up and out, or just out. But, it'll have large plastic poppers which may break so be careful...sorry, I've never seen a 147 door so can't comment further :rolleyes:

wrinx

#7 ·
wrinx said:
Err, guys...... ;)

wrinx

Err....great forum....great people.....lots of technical knowledge.....yep, AO is the place to be! :rolleyes: :cheese: :lol:

If only we would read the questions, before answering....that would help a lot I guess.....:cheese:

#8 ·
If we are still talking about a door not opening!!

I had almost the same problem as this. The cable from the handle to the door mech popped off. I removed the handle from the door to discover that the plastic bush holding the cable to the handle was worn thru. Got one at a scrap yard for free!

#10 ·
You guys crack me up!! :rolleyes: I DID ask for such replies since I wrote I was not very handy... But, ofcourse I checked the child lock to begin with ;) , Whatever way I turn it, nothing changes... So, my best guess is to start taking out the door handle on the inside! But, is there an easy way to do this? Without removing the door card that is?

Thanks so much, this is an amazingly usefull and very amusing community!

Paul

#13 ·
Nope, bought it privately... No warrenty whatsoever since it was imported from Germany last month. The documentation belonging to the car is complete, and ofcourse it could take it to the AR dealership, but before doing that I would like to have a go at it myself..

#14 ·
I know this is an old thread...but thought I'd revive it rather than start a new one.

I have exactly the same problem with the rear passenger side door not opening from the inside. It's definately not the child lock on as I have checked this. The handle does feel a little lighter on this side than on the side that works, so am assuming something has come off inside.

Was there ever a solution found to your problem pullie147?

Has anyone else had this problem since or tried to get inside an alfa door without breaking it?

I hope someone out there can help! Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.